Superb iV or Octavia iV or Enyaq

Simon Cobb

Hi everyone,

I began my Skoda journey 11 years ago, and used Briskoda extensively to help me with my purchase of an Octavia Scout, which has been a fabulous car for us. Now though, I’m ready to move into the electric era. I already own a BMW i3 for city/local running, but am looking to replace the Scout with something of equivalent practicality, hence my looking at the Superb iV, the Octavia iV and the Enyaq. 

I live in New Zealand, where sadly the Enyaq is not expected to be available for sale until 2024 :-(. As such, the Enyaq will only be possible if I import one from the UK. If I want to buy through an NZ dealer, I’m looking at the Octavia or Superb iV PHEV models. 

I'm keen to hear from people who’ve purchased either of these models, what their experience of their new vehicles has been, whether they also considered the Enyaq and why they decided to go with a PHEV instead (or indeed, why the Enyaq won out for them). 

I’m looking forward to hearing from you!

Thank you,

Simon

Simon - like you I started with Skoda some years ago (2002) and am now on my third Octavia Estate (iV). Suits us very well. I didn't fancy the Enyaq, and the Superb doesn't fit in my garage. I was impressed by the Superb when a chauffeur collected Lady Norris and me from a hotel in Wellington (NZ). Anyway, you could do worse than read this thread about the Octavia iV - https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/494326-the-good-the-not-so-bad-and-definitely-not-ugly-octavia-iv-estate/?tab=comments#comment-5552259 

• Love it! 1

6 hours ago, Sir_Ron_Norris said:

Here I am trying to be helpful in responding to Simon Cobb's request for advice - and someone posts a "Groan" emoji. Would that person care to explain why...?

I’m so sorry!  I was reading this on my phone and thought emoji was a clap!  I was trying to say thank you. Now corrected. Opticians appointment made :-). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

It was @Simon Cobbthat did that.  So the OP.

Maybe nobody that has bought a PHEV Superb or Octavia has seen this post yet, or maybe just can not be bothered answering.

As above, a genuine ****-up on my part. So sorry. Now corrected.

i would love to receive more feedback on the Superb iV, as this looks to be about my only option with the Enyaq and ID4 almost 3 years away and the Octavia iV about 12 months away. 

My dealer has a couple of sport line estate models, one in brilliant silver metallic and one in magic black pearlescent, on a ship now arriving late July. Fully loaded with the only option missing being the panoramic roof. The New Zealand government is offering the equivalent of a £3000 PHEV incentive, so about £36,000 to buy.

They do not anticipate receiving any more Superb PHEV stock in 2021, so it’s now or flag it until next year. 

• Like 1

There is an indirect tax benefit, but it’s complicated :-). In NZ, petrol ICE vehicles pay fuel excise duty and other road taxes, via the fuel they purchase at the pump. Diesel vehicles pay these taxes via a per km road user charge (universally known as RUC here) and as a result, diesel is about 40p a litre cheaper than petrol. 

EVs (including PHEVs) are exempt from RUC to encourage take up. So, with a very cheap overnight electricity tariff, and mostly <50km journeys on a typical day, which will mean the car would be run in pure electric mode for 80-90% of the time, it becomes a very cheap car to run. 

• Thanks 1

I thought people might be interested to see the spec of Superb iV vehicles that ship to NZ, and compare them against the UK spec. They are available in Style or Sportline trim, with very few options available to tick:

https://az749841.vo.msecnd.net/sitesennz/alv1/dba5ec11-fe37-480b-b8e6-e46183e8ee80/MY21 Superb iV Combined_ao_27May.6d3068df129d7359045160f49ada87c0.pdf

as an aside, does anyone know what changes have been made between MY20/MY21/MY22 Superbs?  There’s probably a separate thread covering this  somewhere, but if anyone could point me towards it, that would be appreciated. 

Edited by Simon Cobb

One thing I’ve come across in my research is that it appears the Canton sound system that is standard in the Sport Line edition I’m looking at, has been gelded in the iV model by the removal of the subwoofer :-(. Seriously? How can they call it a Canton 12 speaker system if it’s missing a key ingredient?  Just wondering if anyone who has purchased a Superb iV with the Canton system in the last couple of months can confirm this is definitely missing?

Someone else mentioned the torch has disappeared from the boot and the remote folding seat release hooks in the boot are no more. Again, if anyone can confirm this, id be grateful.