JDM Forester XT to Octavia VRS

mikeb202

I have a 2008 JDM imported Turbo Forester I love the car but what I hate is, the pain of getting it insured the premium I pay for it and the fuel economy 17 -19 mpg on a good month and the fact that I have to use super-unleaded...It's quite old now I'm dreading a bit when things will go bad it will be very expensive.…..

I imported the car myself from Japan has only 50k miles (full service history from Subaru Tokyo) I've done timing belt including water-pump changed all the fluids, new maf sensor,new spark plugs, had it undersealed being a JDM import it had no rust whatsoever so spent a few quid on after it landed here....

It has the EJ205 engine and about 230PS It's the first car I had with over 200PS….

I’ve been thinking of selling the forester and getting a Octavia VRS probs my budget would be around 11k - 12k and I’m hoping for something a lot newer than my 2008 Forester maybe 2015 ish ? 

So could I get a decent one for 11k , I’ve been given serious warnings from a friend as in I’ll make a big mistake moving form a Japanese car to a modern European made one and that I will regret it big time… :) 

anyone here made the move to Skoda and been happy about it? Any tips and ideas as to what to look for ? What about service pricing and parts compared to Japanese vehicles ….?

• 2 weeks later...

You can definitely pick them up cheap enough and certainly around your budget, but they’d probably have around 50,000 miles on the clock. 

I paid £13,500 in 2015 for our 12 reg blackline estate, with 27,000 on the clock through a main dealer.

I sold it back to a dealer a year later and I’d only lost £1000 over that year, however, I’d negotiated a great price for their Superb elegance, so it meant I’d got our new car significantly cheaper. 

The estates seem to hold their value, or at least demand a bit more of a premium.

I’d certainly make the jump if it’s an itch you want scratch as they’re a great car to drive and full of comforts