Are used prices really THAT strong?

Well from my observations I can get back what I paid for my car after using it for a year but to change to a slightly newer model its nearly £4k more, the same upgrade last year was £2k - but it all depends what your looking to change to- cars are what I call an evil necessity for work where I live due to pathetic public transport. Will we own them in the future when the prices for electric cars seem to be going higher and higher- one thing for sure I will be the last person on the planet to go electric as I run all my cars into the ground- last one I had for 6 years only cost me £2500 in terms of repairs and actual car cost-brilliant Citroen C5 which I really miss actually especially the comfortable ride- my 2015 Octavia has the most noise vibration harshness from the suspension I ever experienced on any car-  I spent £500 on all sorts of tech to make the car liveable  but I wish I bought the newer model which is why I notice the price differences.

• Like 1

@Michaeldavis39 I'd be interested to see what happens in a few years when no new petrol or diesels are being made, your 6 year old car will have quite a comeback I'd imagine.

I hear you on the road noise and suspension. Can't hear the radio sometimes.

Everytime I've mentioned this to anyone I get the same line about it will cost just as much to get something else. There are other options out there,  I'm not selling my VRS to go buy another VRS 🤣. I was going to sell it last year when they were offering just shy of £16k, so at £23k it's a no brained and my new old car will be much more useful for me. We also have a little fabia outside that I own, we were offered 5.3k on  trade in a couple of years ago and the offers are over 9k now. That's going later on to be replaced by a lease for the mrs. 

We live where public transport is awful too. Trouble for me was that any sign of ice, frost or snow and I didn't want to take the VRS out, especially with DSG. Next car won't be the same. 

Thats funny we have a Fabia too- though older than yours as its a 2013 bought privately a few months ago for far less than any dealer have been asking this year and even WBAC will give us £500 more than we paid for it. On our Fabia I have stuffed loads of carpet off cuts and underlay from our new hallway under the floor carpet and spare wheel well and copied the Octavia door twin sealing - bought material from ebay and this has transformed the car massively- can drive distances on the motorway now without wanting to get out and walk! My father has the same Fabia as you and doesnt like it having had the old school Fabia which was much better made- he says Skoda have cheapened the whole car and he would love to get another of the old models again.

• Like 1

Interesting stuff! We have a 2016 monte carlo and it's honestly been a great little car. We got it at cost price when a friend worked for skoda, its been no bother but its warped its rear tyres over the last 30k miles and the dogs been in it a few times but I look at it as not owing me anything really. When I look at my mk3.5 vs my mk3 its built better, just not better enough to make me think the mk4 will be a good choice. I'd rather then spent 500 quid on some materials for sound deadening than adding some extra stitching here and there. 

Well that's it, its over. Octavia went to Arnold Clark on Wednesday, its yet to come on the website but looking at the prices of the VRS models on there it will be going up for an eye watering price. New car is reserved and due for pickup. 

Overall its cost me around £100ish a month for 3 years, I'd take that offer on a lease any day.

Great car but totally wasted and I can relax about it now! 

Its got a full dealer service history and 91k miles on it. Will be the highest mileage car I've ever had but Im not too concerned by it. Its clearly been looked after and life's a lottery anyway. Checked it out through car vertical and looked at all the MOT history too.

Its only 170bhp and its manual but I much better suited to the local roads and my work parking situation (long story but work is 12m away on a secure site they won't let us drive onto anymore and instead I need to park on a bit of industrial waste ground and get the bus!). I had an older T30 model a few years ago and probably should have kept it!