Air con 'fragrance'

Citigo1982

Hi everyone

My 2019 SE went for its second service last week and the dealer also did an aircon service at the same time. Regassed and 'disinfected' using some kind of spray/bomb. Beforehand, the AC was working fine and didn't smell, but I was talked into it...

I am now regretting this, or at least having let them 'disinfect'. The 'fragrance' they have used is very unpleasant and is lingering, a week later. To try to get rid, I've hoovered the car completely, wiped all interior plastics, and have also been driving around with the AC on full and windows wide open. I've now also removed the pollen filter, temporarily, and am airing it outdoors (until I next need to drive the car). 

Is there anything else anyone can think of? The smell is now basically in the ducts and pipes, rather than the car interior, which makes it more tricky. Perhaps I just have to run the AC with the windows open for a few weeks. When Skoda called for feedback I told them I wasn't impressed and I may yet take the car back and tell them to sort it out, but if there is something simple I can do I'd like to try it. Thanks!

You're doing the only thing you can - run lots of fresh air through!

You don't need the a/c on - it's counter productive because cold air will not carry the fragrance away as easily as warm (or current summer outside air) will do. 

The heating/cooling system is basically just ducts, and a fan to blow air through heat exchangers, one of which simply gets cold when you power the a/c on.

Not familiar with the citigo, but most models its in the passenger footwell just under the glovebox, towards the centre console end.

If you have the pollen filter out, you can spray in there directly with the fan running.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1