Front Assist Collision Warning

Yesterday I was driving at 40 mph with a clear road ahead and suddenly the car did an emergency brake by itself. To say it was it was a bit of  a shock is an understatement and fortunately there was nothing behind me. Has anyone else had this happen to them and if so how was the problem resolved?

• 5 weeks later...

I have read that you can occasionally get that happening when the car receives a weird radar signature from something like a crisp packet blowing around.

If you google "front assist crisp packet" you get a whole raft of hits of people on different forums complaining about it.  Think it is a VW group thing.  

On the three Kodiaq’s we have or had, I’ve had to turn the collision avoidance radar settings down on two of them in the entertainment system.

One had a fear of a certain humpback bridge and always slammed the brakes on approaching it. After turning the settings down it’s been fine.

Thanks for the replies, I’ve checked my car and the and the setting is set to ‘Late’. It hasn’t done it since so I guess I’ll just have to hope it doesn’t do it again. When it goes in for a service I will list it as one of the things I want them to check.

• 4 weeks later...

Although I have an Octavia Mk4 RS the issues are the same. I have been having a lot of false alarms from the AEB although it has never, yet, slammed on the brakes.

Following your suggestion I have checked the sensitivity and it was set to Medium so today I have set it to Late. We will see if that helps.

There was also a checkbox for something like "Show distance". Does anyone know what that is about? I have not noticed anything in the dash except, sometimes I think, a big red icon of a car crashing.

Of course when it happens the last thing I want to look at is the dashboard. I am too busy looking for the object that I am supposedly about to crash into.

The distance warning option displays a small symbol in the bottom of the dash display when you're following a car too closely for the speed that you're doing. It looks like two cars with an exclamation mark between them. 

TVzwHXL.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Teir said:

The distance warning option displays a small symbol in the bottom of the dash display when you're following a car too closely for the speed that you're doing. It looks like two cars with an exclamation mark between them. 

TVzwHXL.jpg

Ok. Thanks for that. I may have seen that, although it might be a bit different in the Virtual Cockpit of the Octavia Mk 4.

I had imagined from the setting's name that there was some kind of distance readout, like "20 metres".

It is kind of useless though. 

a) It is too small to notice - and not in a highlighted colour to help you to notice it.

b) It is not self=explanatory - until now that you explained it to me.

c) My eyes are on the road maintaining what I think is an appropriate separation. Occasionally I take note of the Heads-up display but that is all.

There are many other such icons that I have noticed occasionally but have no idea what they are telling me.

And some that beep, come up and then disappear before you can take you eyes off the road long enough to think about them.

Big failure of the user-interface design to my way of thinking. We are not all like airplane pilots trained for months on the instruments and procedures.

It’s the same on all , first thing to do is change sensitivity to medium or low in my opinion. Still got the odd warning soon as hear bleep see warning just touch brake to stop it . Then there’s the other issue even with a bit of rain front sensor impaired! Same thing on all VAG