2016 Rapid - slightly oversized tyres a problem?

Defblade

Hi all,

Picked up a set of 15" alloys with the correct size and offset etc to use for winter tyres.

They have come with some fairly unworn winters fitted, they'll be good for at least this year and maybe next... but they're not quite the right size.

Officially, I should have 185/60, these are 195/65. So they stand about 30mm taller/15mm larger all round than the OE 17s. or the recommended 15" size.

I've popped them on the front (where clearance looks tighter and the wheels have a lot more moving to do), checked clearances on full lock both ways and been for a short drive... no obvious problems.

As expected, Waze confirms that they make my speedo pretty much spot-on accurate rather than over reading.

Given that my insurance is happy with the change (I did check regarding the wheels but not the tyre size), is there any real problem running these tyres?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

?

Who at your insurers is happy with the limited info on the sizes seeing as it is just the wheel size you gave them ,

the call handler, the broker or the under writer?

Everyone is probably happy until you might have a accident and the Loss Adjuster might just be laughing, they get paid to save insurers money.

But as long as the speed and load rating are right maybe nobody cares. 

So many If's on running tyres not the size Type Approved for a car. 

httpS://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

Having an over reading speedo reading accurately with tyres bigger than OEM is something i like.

Screenshot 2021-10-04 at 18.41.47.png

Edited by e-Roottoot

14 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

?

Who at your insurers is happy with the limited info on the sizes seeing as it is just the wheel size you gave them ,

the call handler, the broker or the under writer?

Everyone is probably happy until you might have a accident and the Loss Adjuster might just be laughing, they get paid to save insurers money.

But as long as the speed and load rating are right maybe nobody cares. 

Call handler I guess - no problems in principle with fitting smaller alloys and winter tyres... but that may all change when I actually want to put the changes through, I know!!

It's all ebay stuff, so if it doesn't work out, the worst that happens is it goes back on ebay.

If I need to change the tyres to OE, I'll still put the other ones up to get a few quid back.

1 hour ago, Defblade said:

is there any real problem running these tyres?

Well, to start with you're uninsured because you're driving a car with an undeclared modification (non-standard tyre size).

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

Well, to start with you're uninsured because you're driving a car with an undeclared modification (non-standard tyre size).

So, apart from a very brief test during which I had no accidents claims or convictions, did you not see the bit where I said I will be declaring before using? Twice.

Could we please leave this sanctimonious and already-covered-for-those-that-can-read area, and answer the actual question I posed?

If you want oversize tyres, 185/65R15 has a 3.1% bigger outside diameter than the standard 185/60R15 size.

195/65R15 has a 5.2% bigger outside diameter than the standard 185/60R15 size.

With 195/65R15 there's a risk that rubbing will occur when the suspension is fully compressed.

With the Rapid:

185/65R15, 195/55R16, Yes (In some markets, 195/55R16 is a standard option on the Rapid)

195/65R15, 205/55R16, No as these are Octavia MK1 to MK3 and Superb MK1 to MK2 size tyres.

Edited by Carlston

11 minutes ago, Carlston said:

If you want oversize tyres, 185/65R15 has a 3.1% bigger outside diameter than the standard 185/60R15 size.

195/65R15 have a 5.2% bigger outside diameter than the standard 185/60R15 size.

With 195/65R15 there's a risk that rubbing will occur when the suspension is fully compressed.

With the Rapid:

185/65R15, 195/55R16, Yes (In some markets, 195/55R16 is a standard option on the Rapid)

195/65R15, 205/55R16, No as these are Octavia MK1 to MK3 and Superb MK1 to MK2 size tyres.

I believe they were Octavia wheels in the first place.

Think I'll get the correct size put on just to save worrying...