2004 MK1 Fabia VRS Exhaust

BB78

Could someone please help me find a replacement exhaust for my car?

Technically I could probably get away with only replacing the back box as the outer casing is currently being held on by a cable tie but given my car’s age and the amount of corrosion I thought it might be easier (and more cost effective in the long run) to replace the whole thing as I’ll be keeping my car for at least another 4 or 5 years.

I’ve been told genuine replacement part (back box) is on back order, no date for when it’ll be in stock (aka due to age they won’t be), haven’t had any luck finding an exhaust but then I don’t really know what I’m looking for; I just know it’s got to fit because once mines off it probably won’t go back on.

I’ve got a neighbour who will fit it for me and the last time it was looked at it wasn’t blowing but it might be now, (thought I heard something last night but not sure) MOT due in 2 weeks so trying to get exhaust done for that.

If anyone can help I’d really appreciate it cause I’m at a loss.

2004 MK1 Fabia VRS

Think it’s 6Y9 if that’s relevant?

The outer casing of the backbox is mild steel. It has no structural function. It's there to reduce noise. It can be removed or mostly removed and cleaned up with no penalty. As long as you don't cut or otherwise damage the inner stainless steel box in doing so.

EDIT: There's a seam along the top you need to be a little careful around.

Edited by vindaloo
  • Like 1

So as long as nothing’s changed  and it’s just the outer casing then it’s not a problem?

I’ve not seen it myself, can’t remember when it happened but remember the garage I used to use telling me they’d put the cable tie on & that must’ve been a few years ago now (had a lot going on since!)

Taking the casing off & cleaning it up isn’t something I can tackle, is it fine to leave it as is (treat it to a new cable tie) or should it be removed?

Or (baring in mind I haven’t seen it just thinking out loud) can it be welded back together?

• Like 1