Dash air vent

Bally

Has anyone had reason to remove any of the air vents from the dash?

The reason I ask is that someone, unsurprisingly no-one is taking responsibiity, has managed to knock the adjuster off the passenger side vent and it looks like it will need access to the rear of the vent to re-assemble.

I don't want to try and force the vent and break anything hence the question before I start messing about with it!

Any pointers greatly appreciated, thanks 🙂

20211030_103258.jpg

On 05/11/2021 at 20:05, Kenny R said:

From the workshop manuals in the Kodiaq Guides section..

E2C172C8-7A4F-4871-AD3A-B35C6001620F.png

Much appreciated, will have a look at the weekend to see if I can fashion a tool of some sort to hook into the openings 👍

• 1 year later...
On 08/01/2023 at 21:07, Dappernut said:

Did you get this fixed Bally?  I'm trying to ascertain what you're supposed to do with the assembly tool exactly.

Hi, no I couldn't do it myself. If you look at the diagram uploaded by Kenny R above you need a tool to release the clips. I tried to fashion something but I couldn't get to them.

47 minutes ago, Bally said:

Hi, no I couldn't do it myself. If you look at the diagram uploaded by Kenny R above you need a tool to release the clips. I tried to fashion something but I couldn't get to them.

Picture of said T10389 tool…

26752778-BC57-4CA6-8426-CEA19BA79A39.jpeg

On 13/01/2023 at 09:06, Bally said:

you need a tool to release the clips

I see.  This would be very much easier to do if you could see the thing disassembled first.  Just pulling isn't going to work without damaging something then.  I thought perhaps the hook of the tool was to just pull the vent out forwards without having to tug on the louvres.

• Like 1

I've found a better picture and it looks like you have to pull the clips inwards by pressing back using the official tool inserted throuhg the holes in the sides of the vent, and I guess they click into a released state once you have them hooked properly one by one.  Good luck doing that without something like the official tool!  It would be very helpful if anyone who's actually performed this manouvre can confirm that the four clips are to be clicked out of engagement one by one, or instead you're supposed to perform some sort other sort of magic to get all four disengaged at the same time?

2023-01-14 (1).png

5 hours ago, Dappernut said:

Good luck doing that without something like the official tool!  It would be very helpful if anyone who's actually performed this manouvre can confirm that the four clips are to be clicked out of engagement one by one, or instead you're supposed to perform some sort other sort of magic to get all four disengaged at the same time?

The instructions imply a degree of complexity that just ain't there.

The tool doesn't disengage or release the clips per se.

The bent end hooks into the hole in the body of the vent behind each clip as per the instructions above and you pull it to ease the vent straight out of the dash a corner at a time, as it were.

They're spring clips, that's all.

I knocked up a hook to do this from a bit of brazing rod I had kicking about, bending the business end at a right angle and putting a rudimentary handle on the other. It looks like a tent peg puller but with a short bent end.

I filed the burrs off and put a bit of heat shrink on there to protect the vent.

Works fine and cost nowt.

Edited by Phutters

2 hours ago, Phutters said:

The bent end hooks into the hole in the body of the vent behind each clip as per the instructions above and you pull it to ease the vent straight out of the dash a corner at a time, as it were.

Excellent, thank you for the clarification Phutters. 👍

• Like 1

You don't need to remove the whole vent, just take the front of it off with a trim tool, or something similar. First the 'chrome' trim, then the plastic slats. 

IMG_20220222_090819.jpg

IMG_20220222_090850.jpg

• Thanks 1

I have a hook silmilar to a T10389 and can attest that the vent just pulls out by sticking the hook into the holes and pulling.  I had to pull a lot harder than I was expecting though and the cloth wrap on the metal clips was torn up (though obviously don't know if that was coming out or from when it was built).  Reseated the little plastic clips that hold the front of the vent to the main body, reinstalled and now the annoying buzzing that's been plaguing me for months seems to have gone (for now anyway).  It's as if these things were designed to buzz what with all the little bits of hard plastic and very little damping.

• 8 months later...

As a very belated follow up to this, the buzzing from the left centre vent is back worse than every.  The other vents are all silent, so there must be something defective with this one.  Not surprisingly, my dealer can't hear anything wrong...