P00AF

Hi guys, following on my previous post p00af-turbo actuator stuck on my 2.0tdi i did a few tests with my actuator. Pulling down the actuator it moves but does not spring it self up on its own? Is this normal? I tried to put suction with my mouth onto the vac pipe to turbo and held it and it did not lose the vacuum. Do not know if this is a good enough test. Does this seem like the veins or actuator itself?

It sounds like the veins are sticking. 

Try lubricating the actuator first....this won't work unless the engine is running.  Try putting through some EGR cleaner through the car.  My personal recommendation is https://www.hydra-int.com/diesel-power-blast.html; then try taking the car for a fast progressive journey for about 50 odd miles.

Edited by varaderoguy
  • Like 1

Hi thanks for reply yeah i did wd40 the actuator rod and moved it up and down for a few mins, started to work better but still did not spring back up on its own when i pressed it down. Is it supposed to? also i put it turbo cleaner yesterday direct into turbo and didnt really feel much of a difference, only that it felt like it had more power. At one point the actuator did start springing back up on its own but then after a drive i came back to check and it was the same as before again. Not sure if i should try turbo cleaner again but keep moving actuator while doing it as i did it every 10mins for a min or two. Egr cleaner is that the spray or fuel addictive.

The veins are gummed up.....you will eventually get a failed veins.  The fuel cleaner/improver needs to clean the EGR and Turbo veins as a whole.  Put it into the turbo directly will only fix the issue temporarily.  Two ways forward:

1) Take the turbo actuator apart and clean it with lots of brake cleaner.

2) Continuously run the fuel improver through for each tankful and eventually it will clean it up the mechanism. 

The actuator should return to closed when it is not being used; I suspect the actuator is not the fault here - it will be the veins. 

haha was hoping it was not the veins as that seems like a headache, only thing other than that i can think of is removing turbo cleaning cold side/ veins then refitting. Heard everyone on google say there p00af was the actuator itself rather than veins but it seems otherwise in my case. I did try to start using vpower diesel to see improvement but no did not really feel any difference. Thanks for advice i will try this and will hope to get it done. Yeah to be honest i thought it would be the actuator spring or maybe something else, when i pull the actuator up it hits some sort of spring i think that maybe the set screw. Other than that yeah it does move up and down just doesnt move back up when ive pulled down, Maybe able to attach a video for you to see? is it possible on here? only just joined not long ago lol

What will happen is that you will get an error code that the Actuator is unable to reset itself to zero position.  Its not usually the actuator that fails, its the veins that stop the actuator from moving.

The other thing that will help - will be good quality oil, which helps the engine, which improves the burn cycle.  When you start use the above stuff, it will dump a load of soot and dirt into the oil, so regular oil changes are really important [between 8-10k miles].  Make sure you use good branded 504/507 rated oil.

Diesel basically comes in one form; that conforms to British Standards.  The supermarkets don't put any additive into their fuels, which allows them to make it cheaper.  Brands [Esso/Texaco etc] do put in cetane improver, but only a little [which should be enough].  Shell are the exception in so much they make their own fuel's.  Super Diesel is basically diesel with lots of cetane in it.  Diesel fuel has got worse over the years due to sulphur removal and this has removed a lot of cetane which helps the burn process.  All this means that the cars end up sooting up far easier than they used to if you are a gentle driver.  Putting a cetane improver into a car (be careful how much you use otherwise you will trigger a NO sensor failure on VAG cars) will improve the burn cycle, keep the EGR cleaner and help remove soot and gunk from the turbos.