Electric Towbar with Alko stabiliser hitch

clivep19

I have a 2019 7-seat Kodiaq with an electrically retractable Towbar. We visited a caravan dealer today and was told that there was not enough clearance on the Towbar for the Alko stabiliser hitch. 

I would like to check if people have any issues with a similar set up please. 
Thanks

clive

10 hours ago, clivep19 said:

...and was told that there was not enough clearance on the Towbar for the Alko stabiliser hitch. 

Enough clearance in what particular regard?

I've got a Karoq with the factory-fit drop-down towball, and use an AKS3004 on it with no issues at all.

This is from AL-KO's FAQ:

I have an AKS Stabiliser. What is the minimum clearance that I need between the towball and towing vehicle?

This varies according the the stabiliser.

AKS 1300 = 65mm
AKS 2004 = 67mm
AKS 2007 = 60mm
AKS 3004 = 68mm

This measurement is taken from the centre of the towball to the nearest point of contact with the towing vehicle. 

Insufficient clearance will prevent the stabiliser from correct articulation and could damage your car or possibly become detached.

The only other relevant clearance dimension is vertically from the centre of the ball to the neck of the hitch below it, as shown here:

post-64688-0-16214600-1444304861.jpg

Edited by Phutters

I have the exact same set-up, it is tight.

If after reversing the caravan onto the pitch I don't jump out of the car, apply the caravan's handbrake and pull the car forward a few inches to release the damper then when I lift the caravan off the tow ball and the damper releases it makes contact with the rear bumper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

I have the exact same set-up, it is tight.

If after reversing the caravan onto the pitch I don't jump out of the car, apply the caravan's handbrake and pull the car forward a few inches to release the damper then when I lift the caravan off the tow ball and the damper releases it makes contact with the rear bumper.

You're right. It is tight. 

Were fortunate in having a mover, so rather than use the handbrake I cheat and creep the van back until it's almost moving the car.

That extends the damper all the way and prevents anything unexpected. 

Hopefully.

• Like 1

Thanks to Phutters and silver1011 for your replies. I’ve measured dimension B on my car and it is 82mm, so we will be fine. Unfortunately I had a stressful afternoon and a sleepless night based on what the dealer had said but never mind.

• Like 1

As the others have confirmed the dealer is talking rubbish! I've got the retractable bar on. 2018 Edition.

I've towed a 2010 Lunar Clubman and a 2018 Bailey Unicorn both with Alko hitch and never had a problem. If you have the reversing camera make sure you use the 'hitch' view when reversing up to the van and it's a doddle.

When reversing the van onto the pitch release the alko clamp so that the van turns more freely and once in place apply the van brake and ease the car forward to release the pressure on the hitch, then it will unhook without making contact with the bumper

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 18/12/2021 at 18:10, apshep said:

As the others have confirmed the dealer is talking rubbish! I've got the retractable bar on. 2018 Edition.

I've towed a 2010 Lunar Clubman and a 2018 Bailey Unicorn both with Alko hitch and never had a problem. If you have the reversing camera make sure you use the 'hitch' view when reversing up to the van and it's a doddle.

When reversing the van onto the pitch release the alko clamp so that the van turns more freely and once in place apply the van brake and ease the car forward to release the pressure on the hitch, then it will unhook without making contact with the bumper

What's the hitch view?

Which is brilliant by the way, I can reverse my Kodiaq right underneath the caravans hitch first time, and without falling out with the wife 😂