Ambulsmen MiB1 Firmware Update process

Hi All

Wanted to start this thread as while there are many many posts on the topic of firmware updates to head units, not too many seem to cover the actual process end to end so thought it may be nice to share the guide i put together from multiple sources and i wanted to make it as detailed as possible to help anyone in the same boat as me..
I will try and answer in this post all the questions i had to save you the bother of looking on loads of different sites and threads 

Full disclosure:-  As an IT professional all my life, I am familiar with the inherent risks and problems which can be associated with Firmware updates, but I don't know cars at all. 
Before going ahead, I did a lot of reading, research googling and you-tubing so be warned the process may be relatively simple but if an update like this goes wrong, it will cost you to have it fixed and I'm sure running the update will in itself invalidate any warranty. 

Any updates completed are 100% at owners' own risk. Neither I nor the forum site BRskoda maintain any responsibility for the process or any files downloaded or the source from which they were obtained.
I cannot supply a copy of the source code please used don't ask, nor can i tell you whom can or might, but they are out there. :)  You know who you are and you have my deepest and sincerest appreciation :) :) 

At the time of writing my Mib1 unit was running 0435 and 0490 was I believe the latest available.
The Update file I used for 0490 was named MSTD_EU_SK_P6230.zip

These are only my own findings and results when running a code update on an Ambulsmen MiB1 unit this process could change in future releases. Your outcome could be different.
Before posting the below I cleared with moderators.

Initial Prep
Think do you really need to want do this..?   (I had unimpressive DAB reception and very poor response on the touch screen using v0435 I heard it was improved in later releases).
I wouldn't do it unless there is a likelihood of it definitely fixing an issue or problem which you are experiencing.
Check and Confirm what sort of unit you have.
Press and Hold Menu button for 5 seconds. Obtain below data as pictures and refer to another source to obtain the correct and appropriate files for download. 
           [I strongly recommend using multiple virus checkers on the file or performing the initial extract a virtual environment] 

Personal Recommendations 
Plan and re-check everything (once started you cant stop it)
Be slow and methodical DO NOT rush
Print off the instructions and process to work through.
Give your car a good 40 minute spin out on a quick road to top up the battery without using any utility which may put extra strain on the battery.
       (See this link to check your battery Status https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqM79n7MeJw )
Run the update during the day for better light and so you wont need to use the cabin lights to see what you are doing.
Disable daytime running lights to prevent additional and unnecessary battery drain.
Get out and check your lights are actually off.
The upgrade process will take 45-60 Minutes be prepared for that. -
            Do use a battery charger or jump pack the unit could well brick itself if power continuity is lost midway through the flash.
            I got one in a well know UK wide Auto-parts store for a shade over 30 notes.
            [Beware the charger you use will need to be Start Stop compatible if that's a technology in your car].

A big shout out to the below whoever you are you helped me build this guide

Process 
Format an SD card as FAT32 (mine was 32Gb). (Use a clean one not your SKODA one)
Using 7Zip extract the contents on to the SD card.
    --- This should leave 3 Folders and 1 Text file on the SD Card.
With the car ignition off remove any inserted SD cards CDs and USB media.
Insert SD Card containing the Firmware Update in to slot 1
Attach battery pack \ charger confirm it is working as expected.
-----  TURN ON IGNITION ONLY  -----
-----  DO NOT START THE CAR  -----
-----  ENSURE LIGHTS ARE OFF  -----
-----  ENSURE AC \ FANS \ HEATED SEATS - ETC ETC are all OFF  -----
Power on the ICE unit
Press and hold Menu button again for 5 seconds
Choose Software Download Versions
Select Update
Select the source (SD Card) [all others will be greyed out]
Select the Release version detected 
First the Metadata will be validated
Press Start
A note is displayed say how "The update may take longer than 60 Minutes to complete and not to start the engine or interrupt the process once started" is shown
Click Next
The appropriate code will copy from the SD card to the unit
The Unit will now restart and then download and restart multiple additional times (About 15. I lost count).
     (Up to this point the process will have taken approx. 20 mins)
The Software update process will now create a "Mirror Copy" (multiple horizontal lines showing a copy percentage against each of them) 
When each line has finished its copy and reached 100%; The Unit will reboot, upon resume it will start on the next line
The Unit will start another set of multiple Software downloads and restarts.
The Unit will restart again
When the screen Titled Software Update Result is displayed
Click Update Summary 
Review the updates applied and return to the previous page.
Click Close
If displayed Cancel the Diagnostic Tester warning to check for error codes. These will however be visible to your Dealership upon service have them cleared for best practice.
The Unit will restart again. [For the final time]
Once the update has finished wait 5 minutes for any last background processes to complete
Press and hold Menu for 5 seconds to confirm the new version is running. (Now expected to be 0490).

I Started at 12.05 and following the above my update was complete by 12.48

Issues in 0435
Touch Screen not responsive
DAB stations missing from radio + reception often poor (where i know we should have reception Was considering upgrading external Ariel)
Playback from SD Card would not move on to next Album (when organised in to folders)
SatNav UI well a bit "basic"...  

Status in 0490
Touch Screen 100x better
DAB radio now works like DAB Radio (I live in a not so hot spot for reception.)
Playback from SD card fixed
Not had opportunity to play with the NAV yet (will try and post tomorrow)

Conclusion:-
If you have the stones for it; and you do have similar problems the upgrade is well worth the effort. IMO Update 0435 is S*!t and is full of bugs...

Keep the wheels turning guys.
Have a good one

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...