Rear Undercarriage

Hi folks,

Does anyone have a pic of underneath their Octavia at the back with the exhaust etc. I'm trying to see if any undercarriage protection has come off my car. 

I haven't had much luck on Google images .... 

Thank you 

Mine is a manual 2.0 TDI SE Technology but I'm guessing that shouldn't make too much difference?  The rear of mine looks like this (excuse the fact it's really dirty!), note I've got the retractable tow bar hence the hole:

IMG_20220204_143740101_HDR.thumb.jpg.c11efab307d4d9f45874d7d182fc168f.jpg

IMG_20220204_143802219_HDR.thumb.jpg.a2156e557e668c77d971a392303dde16.jpg

• Like 1

On 04/02/2022 at 22:47, neonplanet40 said:

Brilliant thanks. I had thought the undertray would be similar to the superb but it isn't. Much less protection. 

I did a huge thread on the MK7 Golf forums years ago on undertrays..

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

The VW Passat has a recycled fabric "tray" which covers the whole rear end from the rear bumper to the rear subframe...the VW Golf estate does not & only has a plastic tray covering up the dead space for the second/twin rear exhaust box.....presumably its the same with the Superb -vs- Octavia.....the Passat/Superb have more room after the rear axle & have deeper sides to the bumpers so the exhaust back boxes sit higher up, thus enabling a full rear "tray"..

48 minutes ago, fabdavrav said:

I did a huge thread on the MK7 Golf forums years ago on undertrays..

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

The VW Passat has a recycled fabric "tray" which covers the whole rear end from the rear bumper to the rear subframe...the VW Golf estate does not & only has a plastic tray covering up the dead space for the second/twin rear exhaust box.....presumably its the same with the Superb -vs- Octavia.....the Passat/Superb have more room after the rear axle & have deeper sides to the bumpers so the exhaust back boxes sit higher up, thus enabling a full rear "tray"..

In theory Octavia is already more aerodynamic than the Golf so it doesn't really need the extra. The additional weight and increased complexity (considering how many different rear ends Octavia has: RS petrol with dual exhausts and independent suspension, 4x4 diesel and petrol version with a single exhaust and a torsion bar) vs improved aerodynamics it's probably not worth the cost of engineering the rear covering. I imagine it's much simpler to do on a Passat and Superb since they have more similar rear suspension between models and also the cost if less important since the car is more expensive overall.

2 hours ago, zetzet said:

In theory Octavia is already more aerodynamic than the Golf so it doesn't really need the extra. The additional weight and increased complexity (considering how many different rear ends Octavia has: RS petrol with dual exhausts and independent suspension, 4x4 diesel and petrol version with a single exhaust and a torsion bar) vs improved aerodynamics it's probably not worth the cost of engineering the rear covering. I imagine it's much simpler to do on a Passat and Superb since they have more similar rear suspension between models and also the cost if less important since the car is more expensive overall.

MK7 Golf & MK3 Octavia are the same chassis (MQB)...

both are available with:-

multilink or torsion beam rear suspension

2WD or AWD

single or twin outlet exhaust box

However the Golf has two different rear bodyworks, estate or the shorter hatch...the MK3 Octavia hatch & estate are virtually the same lower bodywork...

MK7 Golf estate & MK3 Octavia aero is very similar.

The MK3 Skoda Superb & B8 Passat are also MQB platform, so the same suspension as the Octavia/Golf...

The Passat rearmost cover is after the rear suspension so it doesn't really matter if the car is torsion beam or multilink, or 2WD or AWD..

Like I said its the bodywork extra dimensions after the rear subframe which allows more space to place the exhaust boxes higher up in the bodywork, thus enabling a single piece cheaply made felt/fabric tray to cover the whole rear i.e. the two exhaust box areas (with or without exhaust boxes) & the spare wheel well. This cheap cover also replaces the more expensive plastic cover for the empty void for the twin exhaust box if not used.

I had looked into retro-fitting the Passat rearmost tray/cover, but the exhaust box on my MK7 Golf estate is too close to it as it hangs lower, even though its in the same place (more or less) as the Passat... 

I have managed to fit the rear axle cover from the Passat to my MK7 Golf as both the virtually the same rear subframe ..this cover is more forward than the rearmost cover we are talking about above..& you should be able to fit it to any MK3 Octavia with multilink rear suspension....

see here:-

I would also recommend the MK8 Golf lower rear wishbone aero covers here:-

How to retro-fit the Mk8 rear suspension aero covers or stone guards to a Mk7 Golf. | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum