Possible thermostat replacement.

Just out for a run today and thought it would be an idea to have my VCDS plugged in to monitor a few things. 

Anyway, I noticed that the engine appeared to be running a little on the cool side. Mostly it hovered around 78-84 degrees depending on the engine load. As suspected the temp gauge tells lies as it sits solidly at 90 degrees, it's fed from the ECU of course and never really registers true temperature, unless by coincidence, which is the modern way but mustn't grumble.

So, in search of efficiency, a slightly better heater and a cleaner running engine I think I should replace it. Can anyone say where it is and how hard of a job to change. It's an old 2010 TDI with the BXE engine. Thanks. 

Engines run cooler in the colder weather.

I have also noticed this by looking at the engine oil temperature.

In the summer it went above 100 C but in the winter it would only reach the low 80's C.

I now block off part of the front grill in the winter months.

The engine now warms quicker and will get to the low 90's C.

I do this to all three car's I run.

Thanks, AG Falco

Well I changed the 'stat yesterday and now VCDS confirms that the coolant temperate is correctly regulated at around 89 degrees. 

A good lesson for all here, the deliberately inaccurate ECU driven temp gauge is no indicator of actual temperature and I bet countless cars are running too cool with the owner blissfully unaware. You should all check as it will hurt economy, heater output and probably cause more deposits from EGR.

A bit of a pig of a job, You don't have to remove the alternator although it may not be a bad idea. I removed the bottom rad hose in its entirety and then unbolted the plastic snake like intake manifold (which wouldn't come right out) and managed to pull it up out of the way enough to get access. You then need a 1/4" drive socket, extension and UJ. Prepare for a flood of coolant as draining the system from the bottom hose leaves the engine still full up.