Octavia Mk4 vs Superb Estate?

Moorine

Just sold Mk3 VRS 4x4 which was great, a little bit noisy and unrefined at high speed.  Also, a little small for teenage family, dogs on long trips etc.  

About to put deposit down on Superb 190 Petrol SEL, the savings are big, with broker discounts and dealer contribution.

Now I've just seen a new Octavia at the dealers and was just wondering whether the mark 4 is close to the superb in terms of refinement and space.  On paper the Superb gets me much more car for the money and will probably suit my lifestyle more.  I don't need rock hard suspension and sub 6 sec 0-60 - I've had fast BMWs etc and the novelty quickly wears off on long journeys.

Do folks think the Superb is still worthy of its flagship status or does the Octavia cannibalise it?  The only reason I can think of going for the superb in my case is that it has slightly newer tech?  Other than that Superb seems much better value.  What does everyone think?  Thanks

• Like 1

Welcome.

Not an answer to your questions, but.

Is the car built and on it's way to a dealer or already in the country?

Or when does the Salesperson think you will get a new car if ordered now and is that likely to be a Factory order car which will be a MY23 and will it be delivered in 2022 or maybe 2023? 

Best that you look through the Octavia Mk4 section and see the issues some are having with the tech the cars have up to now.

That is not obviously everyone, but then not all Mk4 Octavia owners come to forums with or without issues.

• Like 1

Having seen some of the issues with the mk4 Octavia I wouldn't go near one with a barge pole and would stick with the superb

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 3

Delivery times :6 months for superb. 12 months for Octavia.  Which is fine for me.   

Useful comments, thanks. Not all new tech is good...

Definitely erring more on the superb side , with deposit contributions, it seems much better value.

I went from a Superb 2 hatch to an Octavia 4 estate about 12 months ago.

Some comparisons...

• The ride in the Superb 2 was, I reckon, more comfortable; a combination of a slightly longer wheelbase and the tyre pressures (those stated in the Octavia chart seem a bit too firm and the suspension doesn't make up for it).
  • Fuel economy is better in the Octavia by about 10% (Superb 1.4TSI 125PS, Octavia 1.5TSI ACT 150PS, both 6 speed manual). How much of that is the engine efficiency improvements vs. car aerodynamics I don't know.
  • Noise levels inside are about the same overall. At speed on the motorway I reckon the Octavia is a bit quieter, but typical poor surface urban roads then the Superb beats is hands down.
  • Rear legroom significantly less in the Octavia. Not a big deal for me now the grown up kids have moved away, but last weeks family holiday was a bit tight in the back with both kids at well over 6-foot tall (as am I).
  • Boot is a little bigger in the Octavia, but I guess the Superb estate would be bigger still.
  • Very subjectively, I reckon the Octavia 4 is 'a nicer place to be' than the Superb 3 I sat in before buying last year. It was all about styling and materials.

You'll need to make adjustments for the current Superb model with I believe to be a big improvement (ride, handling) over the Superb 2 that I had.

And finally, if I had teenagers and dogs, then it'd be the Superb. No question.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Moorine said:

Delivery times :6 months for superb. 12 months for Octavia.  Which is fine for me.   

If you look at the Octavia 4 forum there are many people who have been waiting more than 12 months, and some who have been told to expect to wait more than 18 months - so I would treat 12 months with some considerable scepticism.

Would seem 12 months is definitely optimistic.  Super comments and opinions - thanks everyone.

I was also thinking that it might be worth waiting for next model of Superb, but that’ll no doubt have teething issues, plus a massive wait as it’s not even been released yet, and would have a bump in list price with slimmer discounts.  Superb 190 SEL it is then, pound for pound seems much better value with deposit contributions than Octavia.

• Like 2