Calling 3.6 owners...engine noises

Hi all,

I've had my 3.6 for about 2 weeks and it's been in for a major service with a Skoda main dealer as I got a good deal - and nothing popped up, but, my gut feel is something isn't quite right.

From standstill if I rev the engine I get a rather loud puff of air that sounds like it's escaping from something, I can also hear a whine that is in line with revs on the move - if I had an after market air filter (or a supercharger) then i may be thinking that...but it's just, odd. 

Secondary problem is a whirring noise linked to speed and not revs, and I'd say it was a wheel bearing but it's not quite loud enough or course enough - I don't think, but again very annoying. The engine on the whole is very refined and calming, but mine seems to get quite noisy when revving and not in the usual way I expect an engine to be noisy. I had a Mk5 r32 when I was younger so I'm familiar with the unique noises from the block, and something doesn't sit right with me.

Car feels strong and pulls fine, no lumpy bits and idles good.

I do need a new clutch pump for the haldex so it's only FW right now, so assumed it could be that or the diff, but the sound comes from the front of the car.

Here is a video clip of the car revving stationary, on the move it's too quiet from inside the cabin. Front end of clip you can hear the air noise, at the back end of the clip you can hear the high pitched whine sound, phone struggles to pick it up.

See here

Cheers all,

Demps 

Hi TheDempsey. I had a similar thing at around 100,000 kms. Do a search on here for my threads (wile7 - 3.6 Superb) and you’ll find quite a bit of info.

Although I changed my timing chains, it was one of the tensioner pullies that failed and made that rattle noise. Not expensive. I also had the mechatronic gearbox bit that simply needed a service as it was noisy too.

Of course, yours might not be related, but worth a check. Also, check air con pump and hoses for that whoosh sound…could also be a vacuum pump hose. Good luck with it 👍🏻

The 3.6 is a great, pretty bullet proof, engine on the whole. Ancillaries can be annoying on occasion…

On 16/04/2022 at 18:09, Wile7 said:

Hi TheDempsey. I had a similar thing at around 100,000 kms. Do a search on here for my threads (wile7 - 3.6 Superb) and you’ll find quite a bit of info.

Although I changed my timing chains, it was one of the tensioner pullies that failed and made that rattle noise. Not expensive. I also had the mechatronic gearbox bit that simply needed a service as it was noisy too.

Of course, yours might not be related, but worth a check. Also, check air con pump and hoses for that whoosh sound…could also be a vacuum pump hose. Good luck with it 👍🏻

The 3.6 is a great, pretty bullet proof, engine on the whole. Ancillaries can be annoying on occasion…

Hey Wile,

Great thank you! Will take a look through your old threads, a pully may make sense - along with maybe something else, and hopefully not too expensive like you say. I knew buying a car with 170,000 miles on the clock would present some stuff that needed sorting, but not having to worry about turbo's/a stressed engine is nice - and I came from an old Alfa Romeo V6 Busso so anything is more reliable than that.

Will keep you posted, it's going in for a new clutch pump on the haldex and I've asked them to have a snoop around the noises. Fingers crossed.

Demps