Approved used car faults

I am the very definition of a mug punter when it comes to cars and so chose to buy through the approved used scheme in the hope it would guarantee some level of insurance against problems. It was to be a distance sale and so even more reason for seeking the extra peace of mind.

A couple of faults quickly became apparent after receiving the car. It was sold with two keys, but only one works (the solution for resynching the key described in the manual doesn't work - even after replacing the battery). The other, perhaps more concerning, fault is creaking suspension on front near side at low speed .

I managed to speak with the dealership manager about these issues within a few days of receiving the car, he did a good job of expressing concern and said he speak with the technical team then call back, but never did. I've phoned maybe six times since and asked to speak with him, but every time I'm told he's "busy", and so I explain the problems again and am assured that he'll call me back, but he never does.

I've spoken with my local Skoda dealer who've quoted £75 to fix the key problem, but obviously can't estimate any cost for the suspension problem without seeing it. Are either of these things covered by the warranty? I don't see why I should have to pay, I've had the car less than a month.

Welcome.

Have all communications confirmed in writing.

You are doing things correctly,

If sales or workshop staff are not calling back then deal with the Dealer Principal.   

WHEN THEY DO NOT YOU CONTACT SKODA UK. 

They are not interested and say contact Dealership, but press them and they contact the Dealership. ( Customer Services has been contracted out.)

Organ grinder not the monkey with Dealerships, so a named person, have their job title etc, always quote that to Skoda UK.

The key issue is for the selling dealership to resolve at their expense. 

They do it or pay £75 for another Skoda Dealer to. 

So basically they foot the bill to have it done by someone else because their pre sales checks and preparation is crap & when you are not near them.

This is as i had Arnold Clark do with a car i bought from them and they were not the franchised dealer for.

(So not an Approved used car, just a used one with a key not synced to the car.  I knew how to do it from reading online but why should i. )

The creaking suspension needs diagnosed as what is wrong if anything because if nothing other than Servicing & Maintenance is required that is not Warranty work. 

So the next thing is sometimes NAME AND SHAME THEM. 

They had their chance.   

Let others know who they are and even SKODA UK can see online how their Franchised Dealerships behave, as others can.

They have do it for years someplaces, and others are excellent.

The excellent ones should be big upped and the poor performing ones brought to the public's attention on Social Media.

http://briskoda.net/forums/forum/289-skoda-dealer-reviews

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 2

Many thanks for the rapid reply. I am dealing with the manager (Dealer Principal?) and so don't think I can escalate any higher there. I will speak with Skoda UK, as you suggest.

If nothing happens then I will name and shame. It's quite possible it can all be resolved for a couple of hundred quid, but I'm a bit irked by this guy's sudden apparent lack of common courtesy. Before the sale I thought we were best mates

They always are.   

It was not from Arnold Clark by any chance?

Going on holiday?, would you like a drink?  etc etc.   

Then after it is always their day off. 

I phone from outside & then I walk in on them @ their desk when in the area.  Then i post on Trust Pilot and management get a bit of a move on.

THE DEALER PRINCIPAL is just that, there will be Dealership Directors or Owners that employ them.

SKODA UK CUSTOMER SERVICES are not much interested these days.

368071363_Screenshot2022-03-2511_55_58.jpg.edf9de7f74f6008ca469ca99fb9091d8.jpg

Edited by roottoot

No it's not Arny. I don't want to divulge the name, but it rhymes with Partial Loada Deadwood

Ok, will try customer services tomorrow, but won't get my hopes up. Thanks again

Thanks both, things appear to be moving in the right direction (it's possible that getting Skoda UK involved helped with this). Will provide more details when I feel things are concluded, one way or the other

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The issues have now been resolved by the seller and - to be fair - they could have insisted I take it to a Marshall dealer for the repairs (typically, I'd mugged myself by not reading the small print, and thought I was getting a full Skoda warranty). But they allowed me to take it to my local Skoda dealer, and then refunded the bill.

The selling dealer was Marshall Skoda Bedford. The thoroughness of their pre-sale checks must remain open to question but, once I got a response, their Brand Manager did a good job of sorting things out post-sale. Whether or not the intervention of Skoda Uk had any bearing on this is an unknown factor.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. 

• Like 1