MySkoda/Connect - Area Notification

This is probably more a general query than a Superb-specific query.

I've previously had the Area Notification set-up in the MySkoda app in my Octavia MK4 and also in this Superb, and never received any notifications that the car has left the area I have set up (i.e. at home). This I have always taken as being correct, because the car never left the area in an unauthorised manner, or 'it was never stolen'.

That was however using the older version of the MySkoda app, which a few months ago updated to a newer version.

I had moved home and never set up a new Area Notification, but a week ago finally set one up for home. Now whenever I leave from home in the car, when I stop driving and look at my phone I now have a MySkoda notification as well as an email telling me the car has left the 'home' area. That's great in that the feature works, but it is supposed to be to notify of 'unauthorised' movement, according to Skoda's blurb.

As I am using the main driving key (and both keys are paired anyway), and I am logged into the infotainment with the same account as on the MySkoda app, that to me is not an unauthorised movement.

Is this the case of the newer version of the app being a total divvy, or (surely this can't be the case) is it supposed to notify the MySkoda account holder every single time the car leaves the set area?

I thought if working the way I thought it did then that would be fab as, for instance, I don't take the car to work, so it's a pair of eyes watching the car for me while I am not home, especially as you can see the cars location (useful if it did get nicked).

But if it is actually meant to message you all the time, that would be extremely dumb.

Anyone else using this feature and experiencing this?

Edited by Gax

Hello,

I too have never had any such notification in the 3 years I have owned my Superb III - I have just renewed Skoda Connect ( mad I know according to most on here) but will let you know if I get any ‘out of area notifications’. It renews on 25th June. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GarySN said:

When I first set up the Area Notification, I would get one whenever I left home, so I switched it off.

Ah, right.

In that case I assume that when I used to use it it simply wasn't working, or I hadn't activated it properly.

It does have an easy to use on/off slider on the app for each 'area' that has been set-up, so it does still have value as I can switch it on in a jiffy for the times I am not using the car. Not a problem given, like most people, I pick my phone up a zillion times per day to do something.

Cheers for info.