Advice on a wifi dongle to use with head unit please

After having two columbus sets die on me I now have an xtrons android after market head unit in my 2012 superb.

To  make the navigation work I am using a cheap USB 4G / wifi router like the one in the photo. The HU connects over wifi and uses this connection to do searches, download traffic info, maps  etc. This generally works OK but it does not seem to pick up a very good 4G signal on my network (EE) when the dongle is inside the car so it will stop working occasionally.

The columbus seemed to get a strong 4G signal from the antenna in the sharks fin when using the phone as hands free. ( Sitting in the car in remote Wales I could use the phone to download internet data even when using the phone outside the car in the same place showed almost no bars).

Does anyone know of a decent 4G / wifi dongle thing that would be able to connect to the sharks fin to get it's 4G signal, instead of relying on what little antenna it has inside the dongle body?

Not too expensive though as it seems daft to pay hundreds of pounds to cobble together a wifi solution when you can buy a TomTom unit for less!

wifidongle.jpg

Edited by iceman2