1.6, injector failure... should I now keep a spare on hand? (+- where to buy? or am I mad?)

rackham

Sorry, this might be a daft question; I'm a car ignoramous and would welcome a steer.  I couldn't find an answer to this specific question on the forum or elsewhere.

I've had an injector fail on my Superb mk II 1.6 (which has had the emissions fix); I was able to limp to a garage at ~20mph, but the replacement injector took a day to arrive.

I understand from the fitter to whom I spoke that injector failures are par for the course, and often due to electronic failure rather than mechanical failure (the latter being something that can be tested for with a view to better predicting impending failure).

Another may fail tomorrow, or in five years - it's anyone's guess, but if I'm towed to a garage, I'd much rather get dragged in with a spare part I can (it seems to me) predict needing, and have a chance of it being fitted there and then, than have to leave the car somewhere not wholly convenient and wait for a part to be ordered.  This might also let me shop around for a remanufactured injector (which I understand to be a re-used injector body with new parts in it where indicated).

I don't think I mind sticking one in with the spare wheel, but... do I sound mad?  I don't know anyone who carries spares other than a wheel and some fuses/bulbs... Thought I'd better consult the hive-mind before I do something dumb!

Thanks!

I had an injector go on that engine earlier this year when mid-journey. Called the AA and after arriving he had a new injector fitted roadside in just under an hour. Total cost of repair as an AA member was £350. Then carried on with my journey. 

FYI, the first injector to go in 226,000 miles of having the car from new. 

Edited by Jules Tohpipi

Holy smoke, that's significantly cheaper than the garage I limped to!  Thanks Jules.  Also, bravo on 226,000 miles  :muscle:

If and when there's a next time, I shall call out my breakdown service.  And I shall report back here on the outcome!

Lol. Thank you!

Yes, I was surprised at the good price, too. At the roadside he said “We don’t charge labour for AA members, we only charge for the parts.” Included in the price was a new bolt for the injector - or something like that. I’m guessing the £350 was more than the normal part price but the overall cost was about half that of a main dealer - which I had Googled whilst in the lay-by. 

No negotiation took place on the price. I just accepted what he told me - when he said the job could be done there and then. 

This was all done with an official yellow-van AA man. Not any third-party. 

Edited by Jules Tohpipi