Octavia Mk3 timing belt costs

37 minutes ago, gm73 said:

It was back in 2019 right enough, fresh coolant. Work carried out by an independant garage in Glasgow who mainly deal with Skodas. The electronic water pump didn't need replaced only the mechanical one along with the timing belt. In fact the car is on 220k now and still hasn't had the electronic water pump replaced.

I think you may be a bit confused - when i refer to the electronic water pump i mean the belt driven pump has an electronically controlled shroud - now if the garage has fitted a shroudless pump that would be saving about £50, the auxiliary water pumps are what im assuming you mean by electronic ones?

Its also a bit confusing for everyone if you say it was £375 but forget to mention that that was 4 years ago long before prices sky rocketed for a lot of this work - may be worth editing your post to make that clear so others dont think they are being ripped off in this current climate. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update with 2023 costs - cheapest I found was £545 including pump, most quotes were around the £630-660 mark, dealer was £695.

I tried to get some sense out of Skoda UK about the 5 years recommendation for replacement as it doesn't mention a 5 year timescale anywhere in maintenance manuals, just after 210,000kms. Their standard cop out response as to why the UK recommendation was different to the rest of the world recommendation in published maintenance literature was, the UK maintenance department decided 5 years due to 'safety reasons'.. they couldnt/wouldnt give any evidence of UK belts breaking prior to 210,000kms.

clear.as.mud.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, not been active on the site for a while. Just had my yearly service done ,18 plate 2lt tdi. this was a major service at 28K . Cost : £355 all filters plus rear washer jet and key battery. I was informed although the low mileage, the 5 year anniversary was approaching and the cambelt and water pump would need replacing, Cost: £ 700. thought this was a bit steep, should I go elsewhere. ( Winner Garage Cinderford)