Scala SE 1.5 engine. Manual box.

John2022

14 hours ago, MikeHorsham said:

The whole subject of being plated for towing - or not - is very confusing. I wonder how many forum members have Scalas (or other Skodas) that are not plated for towing. Because cars not specified for towing at the point of order leaving the factory plated for towing contradict the brochure. 

Yes it is. I can think of number of  possible reasonsa) Mapping the engine to comply with EU emission/ fuel consumption stuff for towing or not. b) Cost saving by fleet buyers whose costumers will not want to tow. c) Cost cutting by dealers in order to offer the customer 'cost savings'. d) VAG group differentiation between brands. e) something else! Either way mine is OK, perhaps because I paid the listed price and didn't haggle. 

Just completed 200 miles with the car so far, with the last journey of 180 miles return on motorways, A and B roads. The fuel consumption (driven at traffic speed)  is shown as 57mpg.  Impressive stuff!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A final summary of the Scala to close this thread off:

After nearly two months I have driven 1000 miles in it with no problems and a lot of pleasure. I’ve even found out how to turn the wretched Lane Assist off from the steering wheel. To be honest I find it useful when using a multilane road but it is annoying on our A and B roads, however easily turned off and on when required.

I checked the engine oil level, fluid levels and tyre pressures when new (cold and hot) and rechecked them after the 1000 miles and didn’t spot any differences, so that’s good.

Because the car stood for a week or more in the very cold weather I did float charge the battery once or twice but it wasn’t really necessary and the Start/Stop has always worked. E10 petrol consumption has ranged from 28mpg for the 2 mile trip to the local supermarket, 56mpg for a 40 mile trip on single lane A roads and a spectacular 62mpg for a 150 mile return trip along motorways. During this last trip I drove mainly at 70 mph when I could, in quite busy traffic, and didn’t use the cruise control, just old fashioned right foot driving.

Nothing bad to report, it’s annoying that the front passenger seat does not fold down and the front headrest’s do not (officially) come out. Roof bars will solve the space issue and a thump to the back of the seat, in the right place, the headrest annoyance, although I haven’t tried it.

Oh and I’ve got a stone chip on the windscreen, which will be repaired next week!

Finally I had a chap walking past my house stop and look at the Scala, he asked me what car it was.

“It’s a Skoda init”

“I know that from the badge, it’s not an Octavia is it?”

“Nope, a smaller version, the Scala”

“It’s lovely!”

In my 50 odd years of driving no one has ever said that my car was lovely before!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is the car I would buy if it was sold here (1.5 and manual). I'm envious. It seems like you won't be able to get a manual transmission on a decently powered car soon.

1 hour ago, m1kemex said:

This is the car I would buy if it was sold here (1.5 and manual). I'm envious. It seems like you won't be able to get a manual transmission on a decently powered car soon.

Apparently the 1.5 manual is no longer offered in the UK now. Pity because they are a very good car to drive. 

6 hours ago, John2022 said:

Apparently the 1.5 manual is no longer offered in the UK now. Pity because they are a very good car to drive. 

Not heard that if it was you can only have the 1.0l. They stopped the Diesel 

Edited by skoda1982