Headlights and regen brake lights

Jim2015

I rarely drive at night these days but yesterday I drove to and from Scarborough in the dark. In this area, traffic is generally light at night, so out of built-up areas I had the headlights on full beam most of the way. It was like driving in daylight and I was most impressed. The Bi-Xenon lights fitted to our Yeti were brighter, but the LED's are almost as good.The dipped light has quite a sharp cut off and no oncoming vehicles flashed me. I've often wondered whether the brake lights operate when the regen braking is working, but I saw the rear lights brighten and reflected in road signs behind me when it was regenerating. This is another impressive feature of the Octy iV - the regen braking can be quite significant, so at least vehicles behind are warned.

Edited by Jim2015

Is it not only at a certain amount of speed retardation that they are coming on at and not just when there is lower regenning.

That is how it is with some EV's. 

Mine does not get brake lights coming on as there is not that much of a braking affect. 

http://greencarfuture.com/electric/does-regen-braking-turn-on-brake-lights

Edited by roottoot

That's an interesting article Roottoot. I have our regen set to maximum and can confirm that the brake lights came on whenever the accelerator pedal was released, even if the regen level was low.

• Thanks 1