Wheel/brake problems or similar any advice please?

danant

I have owned by 2008 plate roomster for a year now. It wasn't very loved in a past life and I have had to have numerous bits replaced. The latest issue is an intermittent squeal coming from the drivers side front which I think is brake related. The brakes, discs and wishbone including ball joint were replaced in the summer with no problems at the time. Now a squeal has developed when the car is warm so it doesn't happen first thing. More noticeable when driving slow or turning right. When I apply the brakes the squeal stops. I took it to a garage last week who had the caliper off which the piston pushed back ok. The gent took out the sliders and greased them up. This has not cured the problem. Has anybody encountered anything like this before or could suggest what the issue could be please? Thank you 

Which brand of brake pads did you fit, as most suitable ones should have a tapered shim bonded to them to minimise that sort of thing happening?

Hi thanks for the response honestly I am unsure of the brand. I bought them off eBay and I've just looked at the listing which doesn't give a name. I suspect it was a cheaper brand. Would this likely be the likely issue, the brake pads? 

Well, if I had that issue, and I didn't know which/what pads were currently fitted to that car, I'd be checking that as well as making sure everything was nice and cleaned up - before taking the next step.

1 minute ago, rum4mo said:

Well, if I had that issue, and I didn't know which/what pads were currently fitted to that car, I'd be checking that as well as making sure everything was nice and cleaned up - before taking the next step.

Thank you for the advice it's really appreciated! I'll make sure to get it checked over.

I'm not beyond buying bits via ebay, but for my cars, I tend to favour buying genuine VW Group NOS,  well aiming/hoping that its genuine VW group or from one of their supplier brands.