Felicia Pickup TSI

So.. I've decided to change path with my ongoing project and thinking about engine conversions for the Pickup. So I'm biting the bullet and going for something completely different!

I'm thinking either of these EA111 engines -  1.2 CBZB or 1.4 CAXA. (i know its gonna be a pain in the a*s) but you can pick them up for a surpisingly less money than I was expecting.

I don't think im interested in going for any of the twin charged lumps as space is my biggest worry and I quite like both these engines, just gotta look after those chains...

Hopefuly this is going to be a build thread for this project.

I'm now on the hunt for a donor car....

6 hours ago, KenONeill said:

but you'll be the first...

I realise that. Saw someone put one of the newer belt driven 1.4 TSIs in a mk1 golf on youtube and thats what started my interest.

4 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

I beg to differ just turbo the 1.9 diesel. 

More power and more reliability 

Honestly I'd rather have a petrol car as I already have a TDI fabia. I only want about 140bhp out of it and I want to do something that hasn't been done. It's definitley do-able.

16 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

I beg to differ just turbo the 1.9 diesel. 

More power and more reliability 

The 1.2 has 77kW/175Nm. And it should be quite reliable once the timing chain is sorted out.

1.9D is limited by its injection system turbo doesn't help that much (1.9TD had some 55kW?) Turboing the 1.3 is better :D

The biggest issue with 1.2TSI will be electronics. I'm not sure if it can work without other system connected to CAN bus.

Also, they have different bolting pattern to old EA111 engines used in 6N Polo - I'm not sire if either Felicia adapter fits.

• Like 1

Maybe look for an engine from a written off Euro 6 1.2 TSI, cam belt, or a 1.0 TSI pre GPF in 2017/18. 

Like this TSI into a Citigo.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/499372-trevorb33's-citigo-vrs-up-gti-conversion

There was a TT-RS engine in this early on.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/447378-citogo-reincarnated-by-darkside-first-tdi-citigo

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Papez said:

The biggest issue with 1.2TSI will be electronics. I'm not sure if it can work without other system connected to CAN bus.

Also, they have different bolting pattern to old EA111 engines used in 6N Polo - I'm not sire if either Felicia adapter fits.

I work at a main dealer and have alot of help around me to make this work. We dont see why not, especially if we have the whole donor car available.

Main issue first is getting it in there. I'm aware it's not a direct fit so I'll be making my own engine and gearbox mounts for this and may have to modify the chassis.

(I'm aware this is not the chain driven CAXA I want but it's a good reference)

At the moment the truck is a blank canvas, ready to accept anything and I'm really excited for results be it 1.4 or 1.2. Thanks for everyone's replies :)

PS - anyone in the UK looking to buy a 1.6AEE? 😂

28 minutes ago, TylerS502 said:

Main issue first is getting it in there. I'm aware it's not a direct fit so I'll be making my own engine and gearbox mounts for this and may have to modify the chassis.

ah, so you are not planning to use the original gearbox? in that case, you could get some inspiration from 1.8T transplant threads around here.

The Golf seems to be a bit easier mechanically - quick glance through the videos, he mentions that belt driven TSI (EA888?) fits old 02A gearbox. Skoda gearbox in Felicia makes things a bit more complicated.

32 minutes ago, Papez said:

ah, so you are not planning to use the original gearbox? in that case, you could get some inspiration from 1.8T transplant threads around here.

The Golf seems to be a bit easier mechanically - quick glance through the videos, he mentions that belt driven TSI (EA888?) fits old 02A gearbox. Skoda gearbox in Felicia makes things a bit more complicated.

Yes I will definitely be changing gearbox to one suited for the engine. It will probably be the same gearbox I recieve out of the donor car and the Chain drive  EA111 do not fit the skoda box to my knowlege.

I have been looking at those threads and there is some useful info out there regarding fitment and wiring.

16 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

You know what you are doing will harm the cars value right? 

well, the original engine is nothing special. As long as they manage to fit new engine without hacking the frame, it can be always turned back to the original.

Speaking of that, 1.2 engine has MQ200 gearbox - 5-speed variant could be compact enough to fit into original mounting points.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bought the truck as scrap and recovered it to the dealership. Don't mind about the value as it will be my car with no intentions to sell.... ever. I wanted one for ages and this one is far from original already! photo is from the day I bought it, Purple and red... horrible! :)0081B0DE-FC77-4706-9FFE-5A5B143980C8.thumb.jpg.2be1a7f99a0278eeb0369eaddaab025f.jpg

21 hours ago, Papez said:

Speaking of that, 1.2 engine has MQ200 gearbox - 5-speed variant could be compact enough to fit into original mounting points.

I do think the 1.2 will be an easier swap.

On 17/01/2023 at 07:55, Thefeliciahacker said:

You know what you are doing will harm the cars value right? 

In USA many drivers today build a Muscle car ''for a lifetime'', in Greece you know that we say ''you married it".

I wish i had a private parking to make my Trusty as my ''dream car''.

On 18/01/2023 at 21:50, TylerS502 said:

as it will be my car with no intentions to sell.... ever.

Congrats, you're da Man ! 🤝 🏁

On 18/01/2023 at 20:50, TylerS502 said:

I do think the 1.2 will be an easier swap.

yep, I think the most complicated part will be figuring out driveshafts.

There were EDS equipped Felicias, which had different inner joint splines (supposedly they used differential from a VW gearbox), but I'm not sure if they can be found and how'd they fit in the MQ200