PD 1.9 BXE Intermittent Cold Start Problem

Hi,

I have a 2009 Superb 1.9 S.  It's covered 148,000 miles.  It starts and runs fine, hot or cold, but once or twice in the last few months it has been reluctant to fire up. 

The first time this happened, a few months back, I did a VCDS scan and a defective glowplug (the first ever on this car) was shown.  I metered this - it was duff, and I replaced it.

But, a few days back, the day after a very long motorway journey, the car wasn't quite 'catching' on attempting a (very) cold startup.  The engine was turning over OK though.  After about 5 attempts it started and ran fine for the rest of the day's startups. The following day's similarly cold start went with no problems at all - near instant.

I have checked for new codes with VCDS and there are none.

My thought is that the glowplug controller (where is it?) has some ageing, pitted contacts and is intermittently not cleanly switching the glowplugs up to full current.  Any thoughts?  If there is a contoller/relay, is it easily opened up to clean the contacts it has ( I have a diamond-faced spatula, and have done similar on other non-automotive equipment)?

The battery seems AOK and the motor spins at a decent speed on the starter.  I have had the car for 9 years, it is all standard.

Thanks in advance!

Why not just change all the glow plugs with it having 148,000 miles on it

Have you checked under fuse box

Below link is for Octavia

w link ios

Edited by DEL80Y

On 29/01/2023 at 16:59, DEL80Y said:

Why not just change all the glow plugs with it having 148,000 miles on it

Thanks for the suggestion and YouTube link.  I had spotted this video, but only after posting my original questions.  I had expected something bigger to be controlling the glow plugs.

The car has been fine recently, I'll see what happens in the next cold snap.  I'll measure the resistance of the glow plugs in situ, if there is anything of interest then Il'll post it on here.  I have a suspicion that, although the engine spins over well, the battery voltage might be sinking too far when under big demand - new battery time looms, perhaps!  I've  started using my cigarette-lighter-socket voltmeter some days back (which was previously loaned out to a neighbour), which should give a clearer picture on that.

Cheers!