Impressions of my 2015 Rapid 1.4 TSi DSG7 after a few weeks

Overall really happy with my purchase – especially as it was done virtually  (albeit with a lot of desk research) – this was because I can’t leave home for very long as caring for my wife but needed a ULEZ compliant car. Thanks to toot for advice about what to check /change etc – as the service history was a little “variable” although only 26k miles. All now fine and dandy on that front. My observations below are, of course, somewhat amateur and highly subjective. For what it’s worth…..

Engine

Perfectly adequate with very acceptable performance, albeit sounds fairly average. As I have been lucky enough to own some cars with really great engines it’s not fair to compare.

DSG 7 speed gearbox

Clever and really helps performance having the 7 gears. It may be my imagination but it seems to have got smoother in the time I’ve had it. Its only at low speed that occasionally it seems to get “confused” for a second or two. I’m also adapting to the fact it’s DSG not a torque converter auto. 

Ride and handling

The handling is fine – after all I’m not taking it on a race track. I swapped the 16s for 15s and changed the tyres. By modern car standards (where the suspension seems to be made from concrete) the ride is pretty good – although the ride on my 30 year old Toyota is better (but not the handling)! Despite the generally good ride, if you go over a bigger bump or ridge there is more of “thump” – I am not sure whether that it’s the sound or feel I notice more – but not a big deal.

Other stuff

Brakes are fine. Steering is a little light for my particular taste but that just might be what I’ve been used to in the past. Love the giant boot. The plastics are better than I was expecting (although not as soft touch as others). Nothing rattles or squeaks at all – result! The seats are really comfortable – as good as any I’ve tried. Some of the positioning of the controls doesn’t seem that intuitive to me but I reckon that’s just getting used to it – I still seem to spend longer than I would like searching for buttons. The handbook leaves something to be desired as if non-one ever tried it out on an innocent party before printing! I have the Elegance spec and actually like the look of the car – particularly the front – I guess I’m a bit traditional though.

• Like 2

Pleased to hear it is working out for you so far.

The 1.4tsi can be quite economical too in my experience. No ICE car likes short runs from cold starts but driven sensibly then journeys over 5 miles should average in the 40's and better that when the temps go up and/or journeys are longer.

Australians are used to torque box autos so they often burn out the DSG clutch packs because they don't adapt their driving to what is an automated manual.

Typically at traffic lights they will stop and just press the footbrake enough to hold the car still. Not a real problem in a torque box but I believe DSGs only disengage if the foot brake is pressed firmly otherwise they are semi-engaged as for an expected hill start and burn out the dry clutch. Not such a problem with the wet clutch DSG fitted to more powerful engines.

Enough of a problem in Aus for Skoda to release the Mk4 Octavia with the old 1.4tsi engine and an Aisin torque automatic and not the Euro 1.5tsi and DSG although it is with the Scala

There are videos on the topic on the internet.

The Rapid was only sold in Aus with the 1.2tsi engine but I keep a look out in case a reasonably priced/mileage version (preferably manual) comes on the market locally although sales were low here. It would be to replace my 20 year old Toyota Echo which refuses to die :) 

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

Pleased to hear it is working out for you so far.

The 1.4tsi can be quite economical too in my experience. No ICE car likes short runs from cold starts but driven sensibly then journeys over 5 miles should average in the 40's and better that when the temps go up and/or journeys are longer.

Australians are used to torque box autos so they often burn out the DSG clutch packs because they don't adapt their driving to what is an automated manual.

Typically at traffic lights they will stop and just press the footbrake enough to hold the car still. Not a real problem in a torque box but I believe DSGs only disengage if the foot brake is pressed firmly otherwise they are semi-engaged as for an expected hill start and burn out the dry clutch. Not such a problem with the wet clutch DSG fitted to more powerful engines.

Enough of a problem in Aus for Skoda to release the Mk4 Octavia with the old 1.4tsi engine and an Aisin torque automatic and not the Euro 1.5tsi and DSG although it is with the Scala

There are videos on the topic on the internet.

The Rapid was only sold in Aus with the 1.2tsi engine but I keep a look out in case a reasonably priced/mileage version (preferably manual) comes on the market locally although sales were low here. It would be to replace my 20 year old Toyota Echo which refuses to die :) 

Thank you for your comments. Fortunately I came across advice about DSG and the potential clutch slipping issue quite early on so have adapted accordingly. My experience with economy fits with what you have said. Strangely, I also have two 30 year old Toyotas (both Corollas) which are still going strong!

Edited by NeilMH
correct error
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NeilMH said:

I also have two 30 year old Toyotas (both Corollas) which are still going strong!

That is quite remarkable considering the number salted winter roads they would have had to suffer. I lived in the UK for 30 years so know how bad it can be.

Since there is no snow here rusting is rare in South Australia unless the vehicle has been driven through surf on vehicle accessible beaches (not my thing).

• Like 1

Just now, Gerrycan said:

That is quite remarkable considering the number salted winter roads they would have had to suffer. I lived in the UK for 30 years so know how bad it can be.

Since there is no snow here rusting is rare in South Australia unless the vehicle has been driven through surf on vehicle accessible beaches (not my thing).

You are right. I have spent many happy hours under the Toyotas over the last few years to ensure the surface rust is kept at bay! Doing that has been the main issue as mechanically they have been pretty much perfect - 4AFE 1.6 engines with traditional auto.

• Like 1