Faithful friend  – 1.2 TSI S DSG, 150,000 miles –  dead. Replacement suggestions?

A good friend's 1.2 TSI Octavia DSG estate has died. A 2011 vehicle it was strong, frugal and reliable, however the DSG auto 'box mechatronics have shredded themselves after 150,000 miles. We need a replacement – possibly smaller – and don't want to spend more than £5-6k max.

Priorities: auto (or DSG) and petrol. My friend doesn't want anything bigger and a Fabia-sized car is also a contender. Given the DSG-disintegration risk I'm wondering if a BMW 3-Series auto might be worth a look though it would carry higher insurance and running costs.

A Honda Jazz might also be a possibility. We love Octavias and Fabias but an older auto Skoda carries the DSG meltdown risk we've just experienced. 

Thoughts?

With many thanks,

MM

Edited by MasterMunchkin
Accuracy

Does the car have to be scrapped, or sold Spares or Repairs, and is getting a replacement DQ200 DSG out of the question or having new clutches , selectors, flywheel if that is all that it needs?

What ever 2 pedal car you get at that budget has the risk.

Maybe go to a good local Automatic Repairer and see if they have anything for sale, like a customers car they repaired but could not pay the bill for.

They might even want to buy the Octavia as they can fix it cheap enough.

Or ask about them doing the work and your friend keeping it.

• Like 1

Thanks Toot for your thoughts. The car will be scrapped as it was previously rated as a 'write off' due to someone driving into the side of it. My friend is heavily dependent on her car – mobility issues – so the pressure's on a bit for a replacement. The DSG gearbox is quite a complex piece of kit so the upside for getting it back on the road is low. We've been quoted around £3k to get it overhauled. It's simply too much money. Hence the search for a replacement. It's amazing how expensive cars have got!  Cheers.

• Thanks 1

Lots of the high prices are 'Asking prices'.  If the cars are sitting and not selling then maybe because they are rubbish, or maybe just nobody has bought them.

Check out Clearance / Trade clearance locally. 

You do  not always need to paying the Asking Price displayed on cars.

Is there nothing suitable in the Briskoda cars For Sales?

Is the car high mileage because it is used a lot nowadays, or because someone historically did higher mileages

If it is the former, and the car is more a runabout for mobility reasons, then could an older Nissan leaf or Renault Zoe be the answer, electric with no gearbox etc

A few years ago (in 2015) I managed to get a 7 month old 11k miles Fabia S 1.2 DSG, great car from end of mk2 Fabia, but a bit basic equipped.   On the other hand basic spec means lot less to potentially break and need expensive repairs.  But if all your friend needs is reliable basic transport and doesn't care if it is the latest fashion, then look at discontinued models that aren't so popular, get more for your money, perhaps something like a Suzuki

• Love it! 1

I have been looking for a newer Suzuki SX4 auto like my 2010 one but newer. They are too expensive for good ones though.

I was going to sell my one to a friend. They have a 2006 Corsa that needs £1,000 + for this MOT.

Even old Corsa are in demand and not cheap just now, as are Suzuki SX4, Suzuki Swifts, Older Jimny, Splash etc..

It is actually worth my friend sticking with the Corsa for at least another year or 2 as they have spent on it in the past year as well and buying un-known is a risk.

I will keep the Suzuki for another couple of years as it really costs nothing to keep on the road.

(They are easy in and easy out and a nice simple non turbo engine and a good auto gearbox. 45 mpg easily achieved.)

There are older cars that have proved their longevity and that are worth searching out.

Re Electric cars, older ones which are in demand.

Unless you have home / local charging and low tariffs then they can be a PITA.

So for London even you really need to know what is involved with having one and charging with it left slow charging or if suitable for rapid charging which older EV's can have issues with. 

Then there is the issue of repairs with older EV's, or newer ones.

DSCN2626.webp

DSCN5612.JPG.4dc7f3fd28ea87fd6090965e97f78a29.jpeg

Edited by toot