Intelligent octopus

Hi everyone. I found this post and wondered how you were getting on. I joined IO from Go on Friday with an Octavia iV (also my fourth Octavia, I've had the iV since July 2021). Test charge fine, and a couple of nights close to 100%. During the week it has not charged in most slots and last night not at all (apart from 1kWh at peak rate). Everything off, left to its own devices. I wonder if the car is just rejecting too many requests. It won't let me restart charging from the app either. Operation was unsuccessful etc. Will switch off smart charging for now and try again on non-work days. The car had a belated 12V battery management service campaign update recently. I guess Superb is the same. Never had a single battery charging problem, though. The car has been mostly great apart from the common SOS problem solved ages ago. TIA for any insights!

@DudtheDude

Did you take the plug out to reset the charge schedule? 

Mine although set to 100% never gets there unless I unplug and then let it have a second go the next night it then always gets to the 100% 

John

@jjc I leave for work at 5.30am so not really practical. On days I'm not in the office I can experiment and it seems it needs an ignition cycle to get it charging again. It doesn't need to be unplugged and setting a later departure time results in another slot. I did notice that I get 'unable to control your device' even when it does, so maybe it is sending too many requests for the car.

I've switched IO off again. For the last 3 nights it only charged my car to 70% so I'll just use it over the weekend now & again to keep my IO tariff but I'm pretty much done expecting IO to just work. Maybe once it comes out of beta I'll try again. I'll just let the charger charge the car overnight. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I appreciate that this is an old thread, but I am having exactly the same problems when trying to join IO. I can get nearly there and then the test charge fails with the message "the connection was successful, but we couldn’t find any available vehicles”.

Octopus says "ensure that location settings are on” in the car set-up. I am unable to find this exact terminology in the car settings. I have set it to “share my position” in privacy settings, but am not sure that this is the same thing. Did anyone else encounter this?

Any hints or tips gratefully received.

I have a Myenergi Zappi charger.

Zakafog, it took quite a few tries for IO to connect to my Superb. All I can advise is to make sure the car & charger are set to dumb/no scheduled charging & the car is not fully charged. Plug it in & let it charge for a few minutes then try to test? I've permanently switched off IO. I just can't get it to connect to my Superb IV anymore. I haven't used IO for about 2 months now & Octopus hasn't stopped the cheap overnight tariff? I'm pretty much done trying to get IO to connect to my car. If they do notice I'll just ask to be put on another cheap overnight tarrif, or move supplier. Life's too short to be faffing around for hours every month in the vain hope that it will magically work. I have a new fully electric car on order so 'hopefully' it will work better with IO. 

Hello Nagus. Thanks for your post. Interestingly I have never used any in car scheduling of charging as the only display that I could find appeared to be based on departure times.

However I believe that I have finally been successful, albeit not as I expected. Having tried the usual way of connecting via the car and failing again, I tried going via the charger and although I believe that the Zappi is not fully supported, this time it worked and I don't think that I had even set it to fast charge.

The Octopus app is now showing that I am on the intelligent tariff and it did charge the car overnight.

Time will tell if this proves to be successful in the longer term.