Footwell lights retrofit

Hey Folks,

I know there’s been a few that’s done this but I need a bit of assistance with mine!

As there’s no special looms already made for the Octavia I’ve used Mk5 golf looms for the front and rear footwell lights from Kufatec. As these are two separate looms I’ve grounded the two grounding pins to the body and joined the two power wires together near their ends. For the light units I tried genuine Footwell units but the design of the holders was a pile of sh*te and wouldn’t work at all with my CECM and I was getting electrical fault in circuit faults with no lights emitting. I got newer LED units designed for the superb mk3 instead as these have no holders and have integrated leds.

My idea is to avoid using the CECM as it won’t light them anyways as the footwell lights pin is canbus checked and the newer units are lower power led and instead patch into the interior lights wire coming from the CECM as these are not canbus checked but will function the same way the footwell lights should have from the factory. The question is where can I patch into this interior lights wire? I understand this wire is coming down the B pillar on the passenger side? Or is there any other way of doing it?

Also I think my wiring is done correctly! Lol

Car is a 2008 vrs, no maxi dot or mfsw

Thanks,

Jack

I bought a kit for mine that came with LED lights. Plugged into the control module and works fine without any errors.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/153496859670?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=707-127634-2357-0&ssspo=AR1FsE5EQp2&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=D3NRqDbPRMy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

7 minutes ago, Phil-E said:

I bought a kit for mine that came with LED lights. Plugged into the control module and works fine without any errors.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/153496859670?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=707-127634-2357-0&ssspo=AR1FsE5EQp2&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=D3NRqDbPRMy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Nice looks the exact same as mine apart from having the different connectors for the lights. Wonder if I tried plugging it in to the CECM this time with the LEDs would it work? I thought the CECM canbus tested the footwell lights and the LEDs wouldn’t draw enough current and hence not light them? Your looks genuine like mine too!

I've had zero errors with mine. So either they're not monitored (could well be since other interior lights aren't) or they draw enough power.

Obviously the advantage of connecting them properly is you can set them to be on all the time (but dim) and control the brightness via Maxidot 😁👍

Just now, Phil-E said:

I've had zero errors with mine. So either they're not monitored (could well be since other interior lights aren't) or they draw enough power.

Obviously the advantage of connecting them properly is you can set them to be on all the time (but dim) and control the brightness via Maxidot 😁👍

Unfortunately for me I’ve not maxidot I’d be happy with just them lighting tbf at this stage hahah. Done a complete heated seat retrofit and it seemed easier haha. Trying here now again and I’ll code them then back in hopefully I get it working lol!

Thanks

11 minutes ago, Phil-E said:

Nope still same issue unfortunately!

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Phil-E said:

So basically I added a battery there to test the lights. Still not getting any lights lighting up. I grounded the battery to the same place as the footwell lights and attached the power to the end of the footwell light power cable to complete the circuit and I went around all 4 footwel lights, they have one ground and one positive going into each and found that each light was showing the ground as 0 (would that be correct?) and the live as having 12.5v. Not sure what to do next lol!

So the lights aren't actually lighting up at all?

Where are you grounding them? You sure it's a proper grounding point on the body of the car you're using?

19 hours ago, Phil-E said:

So the lights aren't actually lighting up at all?

Where are you grounding them? You sure it's a proper grounding point on the body of the car you're using?

Hi Phil,

Found my issue lol. The looms are back to front lol. So the grounding pin is actually the live while the live wire is the ground lol. Either missidentified loom or the LED units have switched poles in comparison to the older halogen variants. My final issue I hope now is to get them operating with the interior lights. As you said yours worked straight away with pin 7 on the CECM/BCM. I wonder will I have the same luck!😅

• 11 months later...

Where are you guys connecting these footwell LEDs?

On 31/03/2023 at 05:03, Phil-E said:

Phill, where's the control module you mentioned?

7 hours ago, cris_bugio said:

Where are you guys connecting these footwell LEDs?

Phill, where's the control module you mentioned?

Hi Cris, these lights need to be connected into the CECM control module (prefacelift) or BCM (facelift) module under the steering wheel. Big black box with plenty connections and wires going to it. Then when connected it needs coded in so the lights go off an on with the doors opening and closing, locking and locking etc.