Vehicle errors

SFreston

I’ve recently purchased a ŠKODA Scala SEL1.5 DSG from a ŠKODA dealership. The car has been fine since purchase but this week the following issues occurred, in chronological order. Has anyone experienced similar issues and found a fix?

1. drove the car from Manchester to Isle of Wight, all fine. Dropped luggage off where we were staying, started the car again to park it somewhere and it wouldn’t come out of first gear. Park / neutral and reverse still worked fine. 

2. left it parked over night and started it again with the same issue. Restarted it again and the gearbox worked fine, but was then presented with these warning lights:

00897B76-C840-4F3F-869D-C7F242B952B5.thumb.jpeg.9ac55621e027a246344198cb7871b00e.jpeg

A mechanic was sent out through ŠKODA Assist and they had no idea what was causing this. The car is currently being recovered back to Manchester where it will be checked over by a ŠKODA dealership, as it’s still under warranty. 

Any suggestions on what’s causing this would be greatly appreciated. Weighing up whether to return the car and find something more reliable. 

thanks,

Sam

3 hours ago, SFreston said:

I’ve recently purchased a ŠKODA Scala SEL1.5 DSG from a ŠKODA dealership. The car has been fine since purchase but this week the following issues occurred, in chronological order. Has anyone experienced similar issues and found a fix?

1. drove the car from Manchester to Isle of Wight, all fine. Dropped luggage off where we were staying, started the car again to park it somewhere and it wouldn’t come out of first gear. Park / neutral and reverse still worked fine. 

2. left it parked over night and started it again with the same issue. Restarted it again and the gearbox worked fine, but was then presented with these warning lights:

00897B76-C840-4F3F-869D-C7F242B952B5.thumb.jpeg.9ac55621e027a246344198cb7871b00e.jpeg

A mechanic was sent out through ŠKODA Assist and they had no idea what was causing this. The car is currently being recovered back to Manchester where it will be checked over by a ŠKODA dealership, as it’s still under warranty. 

Any suggestions on what’s causing this would be greatly appreciated. Weighing up whether to return the car and find something more reliable. 

thanks,

Sam

You cannot return a car unless they cannot fix after 3 attempts. That looks like software fix. Did they do a software/ hardware updates on PDI

Edited by skoda1982

43 minutes ago, skoda1982 said:

You cannot return a car unless they cannot fix after 3 attempts. That looks like software fix. Did they do a software/ hardware updates on PDI

Hi, thanks for your comment. The mechanic was a road side assist mechanic who ran a diagnostic on the system and couldn’t identify the issue. As I was on holiday in the Isle of Wight and I live in Manchester, they’ve advised the car is recovered back to the dealership in Manchester, which is what’s happening now. 

I really hope it’s as simple as a software fix, and other users on here can testify to that. 

15 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Flat battery or charging system not working correctly?

Hi,

that seems to be a popular theory based on other forums I’ve read since posting this. Odd that the car had been driving for 4+ hours before this happened, presumably with the battery being fully charged as a result. 

35 minutes ago, toot said:

@SFrestonWelcome.

What happened, as in did you start it in P,

with foot on the brake pedal move the shifter to D and drive off and it stayed in 1st and would not change up to 2nd? 

thanks @toot,

1. Drove a long journey, briefly parked the car to unload and turned the engine off.

2. Got back in the car after unloading to drive it to the car park. Started it in P and shifted to D. Pulled off fine but wouldn’t shift out of first gear, despite the revs being 4,000+.

3. Did the same thing the next morning, then suddenly fixed itself, but all the warning lights then came on. 

• Thanks 1

It certainly needs diagnosed and dealt with, it was not just an error of you knocking the shifter across to manual 1st. Not uncommon.

It would or should have shifted up if you had, even in manual.

Was there fault codes when the Skoda Assist responder plugged in and are they saved or did they do a print out? 

2 hours ago, toot said:

It certainly needs diagnosed and dealt with, it was not just an error of you knocking the shifter across to manual 1st. Not uncommon.

It would or should have shifted up if you had, even in manual.

Was there fault codes when the Skoda Assist responder plugged in and are they saved or did they do a print out? 

I thought this too, but it wasn’t a case of the shifter moving to manual - I remember going through sport mode to test whether it stayed in 1st as well, which it did. Moved it to manual as well where it did change gear when shifted - or +. 

Didn’t get any fault codes from the mechanic. 

Did you get a resolution to this ?

My wife had her brand new Monte Carlo delivered this morning with 9 mile on it and she has had the following errors appear before it reached 10 mile!

Errors-

Engine management light

start/stop

Abs/stability

lane assist

front assist

Dynamic road signs

Tyre pressure monitoring

Dynamic cornering lights

1 hour ago, Giantstu said:

Did you get a resolution to this ?

My wife had her brand new Monte Carlo delivered this morning with 9 mile on it and she has had the following errors appear before it reached 10 mile!

Errors-

Engine management light

start/stop

Abs/stability

lane assist

front assist

Dynamic road signs

Tyre pressure monitoring

Dynamic cornering lights

Hi @Giantstu,

My car is due to to checked over my ŠKODA at some point this week. Will let you know what they come back with. Based in the things I’ve read on here and elsewhere, I’m expecting it to be one or both of the following;

1. Worn out ABS sensor

2. Depleted or faulty battery

It seems to Scala is fitted with a very basic and cheap battery, which has caused similar issues for others. 

5 minutes ago, SFreston said:

Hi @Giantstu,

My car is due to to checked over my ŠKODA at some point this week. Will let you know what they come back with. Based in the things I’ve read on here and elsewhere, I’m expecting it to be one or both of the following;

1. Worn out ABS sensor

2. Depleted or faulty battery

It seems to Scala is fitted with a very basic and cheap battery, which has caused similar issues for others. 

Thanks for the reply, I would be interested to know what they say.

The Mrs is taking hers into DM Keith Wakefield in the morning to see if they will take a quick look. I use them for my Octavia and found them to be helpful. 

If they do take a look I will let you know what they say. 

On 11/04/2023 at 22:14, Giantstu said:

Thanks for the reply, I would be interested to know what they say.

The Mrs is taking hers into DM Keith Wakefield in the morning to see if they will take a quick look. I use them for my Octavia and found them to be helpful. 

If they do take a look I will let you know what they say. 

just heard back from ŠKODA dealership, they think all of the issues are caused by a faulty brake lever sensor. They’ve ordered a replacement and will let me know if it works. 

On 06/04/2023 at 14:13, skoda1982 said:

Are you sure you can't reject the car? :-

https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights

The first 30 days are important re rejection but so is 30 days to 6 months. 

@Giantstu

Sorry for hijacking the thread... Stu, how long you been using Keiths, and how'd you find them?

I'm hopefully collecting a new car soon. Been looking for a decent independent in the area, but not had any luck yet. could consider DM Keiths if they're any good

On 23/04/2023 at 01:13, BT_11vRS said:

@Giantstu

Sorry for hijacking the thread... Stu, how long you been using Keiths, and how'd you find them?

I'm hopefully collecting a new car soon. Been looking for a decent independent in the area, but not had any luck yet. could consider DM Keiths if they're any good

I haven't used them for about 15 years when I had my last Skoda. My Octavia VRS Diesel was new in Mid Jan and has now reached 12k so I will be looking at booking it in the next few months.

My other half Scala went in to Keith's at Wakefield for a check with this fault, but by the time it went in all the errors had cleared. They said it was a battery voltage issue as it was new. The only comment is that they washed the car (It was 7 days old) when it was in and they made a mess of the paintwork. I had polished, HD waxed and ceramic coated it and it was spotless when it went in and came back like this. I have a DA polisher so quickly polished them out but its not the point.

IMG_7400.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Giantstu said:

I haven't used them for about 15 years when I had my last Skoda. My Octavia VRS Diesel was new in Mid Jan and has now reached 12k so I will be looking at booking it in the next few months.

My other half Scala went in to Keith's at Wakefield for a check with this fault, but by the time it went in all the errors had cleared. They said it was a battery voltage issue as it was new. The only comment is that they washed the car (It was 7 days old) when it was in and they made a mess of the paintwork. I had polished, HD waxed and ceramic coated it and it was spotless when it went in and came back like this. I have a DA polisher so quickly polished them out but its not the point.

IMG_7400.jpeg

Ah ok bud, cheers.

That's shocking with the missus' car tho! Lucky you managed to buff it out