Toledo/Rapid Head Unit Swap

I've posted in the Audio section but as yet no replies. 

Any one done this below to their Rapid/Toledo.

My car is the Toledo with the RNS 315 Amundsen head unit installed, so very much the same as installed in the Rapid.

Having trawled through a few posts for answers  I still haven't found a few of the answers for definite before I go ahead and take the unit out.

Reading my manual it's not clear if these Amundsens were ever coded to the car, will they plug straight back in and work if I want to reinstall the unit at a later date?

When installing the new head unit, may go Kenwood/JVC/Pioneer or an  android unit, unsure ATM, if I get the correct leads will it be just plug and play re steering wheel controls, no coding needed?

I've read may not get a display on the screen for the rear parking sensors but they'll bleep as normal, anyone confirm this? I may go rear view camera too.

And last question will I retain the MFD in the centre dash display, like temp, average  consumption, oil temp etc?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by MickA

• 2 weeks later...

These old radios have a radio code, the radio does something with the instrument cluster and if it's recognized it'll just unlock automatically. Newer ones use component protection which needs hacking or pairing to the car (assuming the cluster supports it).

Steering wheel controls work over convenience CAN so you may need one of those "pq canbus boxes" for it to work as expected, I'd personally fit a PQ MIB2 radio and have component protection hacked off (or buy prehacked), it's straight forward for a few radios to hack with just an ethernet adapter and sd cards.

MFD stuff is all in the cluster unless its nav/compass/media, then it uses a protocol called BAP between the radio and the cluster.

Edited by adamyt

20 hours ago, adamyt said:

These old radios have a radio code, the radio does something with the instrument cluster and if it's recognized it'll just unlock automatically. Newer ones use component protection which needs hacking or pairing to the car (assuming the cluster supports it).

Steering wheel controls work over convenience CAN so you may need one of those "pq canbus boxes" for it to work as expected, I'd personally fit a PQ MIB2 radio and have component protection hacked off (or buy prehacked), it's straight forward for a few radios to hack with just an ethernet adapter and sd cards.

MFD stuff is all in the cluster unless its nav/compass/media, then it uses a protocol called BAP between the radio and the cluster.

Thank you for your reply, I think I'm understanding it all.

The pq canbus box I'm already thinking I need but it's what it achieves apart from SW controls. It worries me about the MFD and it all working, basically the expense if coding is needed and more leads etc.

Thinking the MIB2 is too much for me (£'s) hoping to actually get a JVC head unit (wired android auto/CarPlay) installed for as little as possible TBH. Need the facia adapter, ISO leads then SW controls sorting which I expect to do.

On 14/05/2023 at 09:47, MickA said:

It worries me about the MFD and it all working

It just wont show your current media or direction if your unit had nav.

You'll just have a few less menus when you press down, MIB2 retrofits literally just show "Android Auto" on media anyway so not losing anything by going aftermarket, unless the MFD showing your street and direction is really important to you.

• Like 1