Quiet tyres for 2023 Octavia VRs

Emma111

Hi all, I bought a 2023 Octavia VRs last week and I absolutely love it… but the road noise on certain surfaces is bizarre. I have factory fitted 19’ Bridgestone Turanzas on and from the reading I’ve done, it’s safe to say that they’re part of the problem. 

I’m looking at the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 or the Michelin CrossClimate 2 all weathers.

Just wondering what everyone else’s experience would be and any advice you might have. 

I also want to look at sound dampening and was hoping to find a professional to do it for me. I’m located in Ireland and can only find kits for self installation. 

• Administrators

Road materials make up such a part of road noise. Some roads lately I've been on are whisper quiet, and as soon as you hit some old roads, it bloody horrendous!

Ive the vrs 245 estate and changed the tires to Mitchell Pilot Sport 4.Much quieter, and far better grip.They were €220 each to supply and fit,  the 4s were €255, guy said i wouldn't nitice the difference so just got the stand 4.Expensive but probably worth it

On 24/05/2023 at 19:53, Emma111 said:

Hi all, I bought a 2023 Octavia VRs last week and I absolutely love it… but the road noise on certain surfaces is bizarre. I have factory fitted 19’ Bridgestone Turanzas on and from the reading I’ve done, it’s safe to say that they’re part of the problem. 

Are they Turanza 6 or the older Turanza T005 ?

If you were thinking Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric then why the older 5, and not the current version 6.

The Michelin cross climate 2 will like all premium all season tyres have slightly more compliant (softer) tread, so should be quieter in colder weather.  There are couple of new ones just launched, but might be July or August before you can easily buy them. Continental all season contact 2 and Bridgestone Turanza all season 6

Too early to say which of these new all seasons will be quietest, but for UK use will be much better suited than the summer versions.  I have heard (but not experienced) the Pirelli all season SF2 is quite quiet .

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/05/2023 at 20:21, DeanVRS20VT said:

Road materials make up such a part of road noise. Some roads lately I've been on are whisper quiet, and as soon as you hit some old roads, it bloody horrendous!

You only need to drive the M25 to experience the highs and lows of all road noise - there’s good quiet seamless tarmac sections, tarmac that has been laid in small sections which generate a regular ‘thump thump thump’ and then there’s the sections which appear to be brown concrete 😱 Sure these stretches are to make sure you stay awake

Edited by BTandSid

• Administrators
5 hours ago, BTandSid said:

You only need to drive the M25 to experience the highs and lows of all road noise - there’s good quiet seamless tarmac sections, tarmac that has been laid in small sections which generate a regular ‘thump thump thump’ and then there’s the sections which appear to be brown concrete 😱 Sure these stretches are to make sure you stay awake

Yes, on the way to Heathrow.... I'm amazed it's remained as it is and hasn't been resurfaced.

• 1 month later...
On 14/06/2023 at 15:46, DeanVRS20VT said:

Yes, on the way to Heathrow.... I'm amazed it's remained as it is and hasn't been resurfaced.

It won't get resurfaced until it falls apart but unfortunately 'thump-thump' PQ concrete pavement is extremely hard wearing, far more so than asphalt.

I drive on the M20 daily and the PQ is still perfect after 33 years!!