Key fob problem

A little help guys.

Just come back from a shopping trip, and I couldn't lock the car with the fob.

Generally I use the KESSY system, as I have been while I've been out. But I tried locking the car with the fob but it didn't work. The LED isn't lighting when I press a button.

Car will start if I push the s/s button with the key, and will obviously lock and unlock with the blade in the keyhole.

Grabbed the manual out, as the dash said something about holding the key to a surface or something? But couldn't find anything about that in the manual.

I did however have a brand new battery (packaged and expiry of 2027) changed that, but still no working operation or even LED lighting up.

Any ideas on this one?

Cheers

Have you by any chance left the plastic sticker on one side of the battery?

If key no.2 is nearby, it could account for some things working. My car told me I needed a new fob battery, but it was actually referring to key no.2 which was nearby.

Gaz

Hi @Gaz nope, removed all the stickers from the new battery.

My 2nd key does work, but it was out of the way in my bedroom, pretty sure we'll out of range to interfere with anything.

That's also the strange thing, I've had no warnings whatsoever about the battery getting low

Maybe swap the battery from the working fob, just to confirm it's not a battery issue? (Won't be the first time a new battery is duff).

Battery in the right way around?  Asking the obvious coz it's a skill I've finely honed over decades :nod:

Gaz

@Gaz I would hope it would be something as simple as battery the wrong way round, I wouldn't put it past myself!

Anyway, never thought of trying the spare key battery, and it works in my old key! Cheers.

Problem being, the battery in my old key was a cr2025, so that's what I replaced it with... but the battery in the spare is a cr2032

• Like 1

I think they tried to steal your car, cars with keyless locking systems are much easier targets for thieves, because the key is transmitting the signal continuously.

They capture the code from the key, then they use a set of transceivers to send it near the car and unlock it.

This 'problem' is known for years and affects not only VAG cars but others too.

Of course, they don't care about fixing it the slightest for reasons you could realize on your own.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, CNG_Driver said:

I think they tried to steal your car, cars with keyless locking systems are much easier targets for thieves, because the key is transmitting the signal continuously.

They capture the code from the key, then they use a set of transceivers to send it near the car and unlock it.

This 'problem' is known for years and affects not only VAG cars but others too.

Of course, they don't care about fixing it the slightest for reasons you could realize on your own.

Ummm, it was the wrong type battery in my fob 

• Like 2