Caravan Towing

Suuntobob

I've had a fair bit of previous caravan towing experience with my parents outfit(s) and although I don't have a caravan now, I tow a twin axle box trailer with our Karoq.  Its an 8' x 5' x 6' high box and about 550kg unladen. Its probably at around 1000kg when in use.

I can't really comment on stability because the box trailer is inherently pretty stable due to short wheelbase, low down weight, small windage area etc.

It does struggle a bit with the load when full combined with aerodynamic drag - the box trailer is flat fronted though. It will still roll along at 60 on the motorway other than on long, steep slopes where it does fade a little. The fuel economy does nose dive even if you are gentle with it.

I suspect you'd only get away with a modest caravan given the old '85%' rule of thumb gives you a max weight of about 1100kg (car is 1303 apparently). It would certainly move that kind of weight so it would just be down to sensible loading etc to make sure it remains stable.

I should perhaps caveat this with my other tow car being a Superb 280 4x4 - I am probably a bit spoiled by that being basically effortless.

• Like 1

Hi Edwards

Thanks for reply. I already tow a 2 birth at 1234kg mtplm but the wifes talking about an upgrade to a fixed bed. And I am not sure wether my Karoq is up to the job hence the question

On 24/06/2023 at 13:20, Suuntobob said:

Hi Edwards

Thanks for reply. I already tow a 2 birth at 1234kg mtplm but the wifes talking about an upgrade to a fixed bed. And I am not sure wether my Karoq is up to the job hence the question

Personally, I'd not go much more than you are weight wise - I think the CC used to say up to 100% was OK if you were experienced etc. Are fixed bed vans a lot heavier? Genuinely interested as I am a bit out of the loop since my dad passed away and mum gave up caravanning. Their last one was a 4.8m single axle 2 berth full width bathroom effort which I only ever towed with the Superb.