Replacing protective door trims

Huggytech

I have a Yeti with a couple of the door side trims becoming unstuck

I want to take the trims off and refit them securely . Does anyone know what to use to refit them ??

I think they are originally fixed with some sort of double sided pads / strips

Is there a Skoda part number for this or is it a generic part?

Does anyone have any advice on what I should use and where to get it.

My suggestion is ... if if the trim is still there but just coming away in places ... use a cartridge applied adhesive such as HB42 Ultimate Black. It comes in standard gun applied size cartridges (310ml) in several colours and I believe is one of the newer 'Polyurethane' type adhesive/fillers.  I've used it on jobs where the standard type filler isn't strong or durable enough and recommend it.

It holds the soles of trainers on as well as the original means, and that's quite an arduous task to fulfill given how much trainers flex.

It's about a tenner a pop. Screwfix and Toolstation have similar products but i can't recall if I've used them or what they might be called.

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions

My offending bits of trim were still surviving , just.

I decided to opt for the 3M tape solution.

I looked behind one of the offending trims and saw a huge buildup of various road dirt so thought that the HB42 glue might not stick too well to what was a dirty door.

I took the trims off which came off remarkably easily and cleaned them up. I cleaned the remaining tape of the door with a wooden scrapers made from icecream lolly sticks suitably sharpened.

Then I cleaned the residue off both doors and trims with a toothbrush and methylated spirits.... it took a while.

When cleaned and prepared I stuck the trims on with the 3M tape and it seems to have done a good job.   Only time will tell.

the whole job took me about 3 hours with most of that being the cleaning of the old tape off the doors.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Thank you Oldstan for keeping me fresh in your thoughts

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys   an update on the Yeti door trims....

After doing the work sticking the trims on with the 3M tape, after a week or so, I was not impressed with the level of adhesion.

It was better than I had before but I wasn't happy with it. the trims were not completely stuck so I took them off which was amazingly easy to do. I cleaned up the doors and the trims and reapplied them using some tiger seal.

WOW  what a difference. They are really stuck on now !!!

Using the tiger seal was a doddle and any slight excesses came off easily with a paper towel moistened with Methylated spirit.

Job done  properly now ..

Many thanks all especially 137699 for suggesting the Tigerseal.

• Like 1