Monte Carlo Tech 2013 - Intermittent Windscreen Wiper/Horn & Interior light Issue

Hi All

I wonder if the minds of the forum could assist with the weird problem I have.  My car has had a problem twice (several months apart) when the front windscreen wiper/horn & interior light stop working.  The car drives fine but the aforesaid bits don't work.  Both times its happened when it raining which is a right royal pain (thankfully I've been home both times and able to make other arrangements) I am worried it's going to happen when I'm out.  Both times they were all working again the next day, the first time i took it to an auto-electrician and he replaced a fuse and told me it was sorted which was weird as we'd already checked all fuse but anyhoo as it was working i went on my way. 

It happened again the other evening and in exactly the same way everything was working again the next day.  What was weird this time was if I turned off the engine and turned it back on the wipers would work for 3 or 4 wipes before stopping again.  

I wonder if water is getting in somewhere and causing a problem.............does that seem likely? Any ideas where i should look or other suggestions?

FIRST things to check are,

check the battery clamps are tight and that the voltage is good and charging voltage is as expected, a "failing" battery and / or alternator can also display similar symptoms of random electrical failures........

Under the dash where your knees are is the body control module (black box approx 8x8 inches) these "can" suffer water ingress, not sure how it gets in though......

so, check the connections on that, there is (2 large multi pin plugs), with the battery DISCONNECTED, remove the plugs and check they are clean, dry and corrosion free.

Edited by UrbanPanzer

Thanks v much, i appreciate the reply.  The battery is just under 12 months old and a decent make so hopefully it's not that.  Will have a poke around under the dash and see what i can see.  

👍

• 4 months later...

well having had no problems since July.  I am back again with the same issue.  Although some new symptoms.

So, the interior lights, wipers and horn problem has started again.  This time, i note that (sometimes) when i turn the headlights on/off, switched on/off the heater or the hazard lights it either turned off or on the interior light so it feels like they might be linked?  Seems i can't ignore this any longer and will need to try to get it to an auto-electrician after Christmas, but thought i would see if, with the new information, anyone can offer any further insight? 

Rubbish time of year to be asked i know but maybe folks are off work and dying to solve a problem lol anyway thanks in advance for any help

• 1 month later...

Well  i thought it might be helpful to someone else if i updated on the outcome of my issue.

Essentially the wiring in my driver side door was in really bad shape and had to be replaced.  The faults caused by that had then gone on to cause problems with the body control module which then also needed replacing.  The BCM from the dealer was over £500 + vat but was on back order with a 3 week lead time.  So we did a search on an online auction website and managed to stumble upon a BCM from a breakers yard which was from the exact same car as mine (colour was the same and everything - although of course that didn't matter but was oddly reassuring lol) anyway, this came in at less that £100 so we thought it worth a punt.  we had that fitted at the same time as getting the driver's door wiring sorted.  All told it came to just over £500 for labour and other parts, not brilliant by any means but at least i'm driving in a safe care that doesn't have 'ghost in the machine' type peculiarities.