Roomster headlight bulbs replacing

I have a 2015 petrol Roomster and wondered if its possible to change the headlamp bulbs to something a bit brighter, what bought this to mind was over the last few nights I have had to drive some miles in the early hours. The Roomster lights are standard as supplied bulbs - never been changed they work fine but could be brighter, Last night I drove my wifes VW Up and wow the difference much brighter with standard as manufactured bulbs. 

My question is ----------- should I just replace my current bulbs or look for something a bit brighter? Have others done this?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

If you have the projector type lamps can simply change to something like Osram  night breaker bulbs.  They are accessed by lifting bonnet, removing a rubber cover and reaching in.  But there is a big tab on the casing and secret is to grab and turn the bulb, not the tab (which won't move), you naturally try and turn both and think they are jammed.

We fitted these when we had our roomster

Beyond that there are upgrade kits (some are not legal on the road, and are marked for off road use only).  However anything like an LED has lower resistance so will need a resistor to trick the failed bulb warning on dashboard display.  If that is showing don't expect to pass an MOT.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I fitted a good set of HIDs about 10 years ago on my Roomster. It's still within the family with no MOT problems. ABD is a good place to go, they are a very helpful company. No I don't work there. They were very good when I was looking for LEDs for my Octavia. 

Edited by NZ100
X

Thanks NZ

I haven't got round to buying some yet - Halfords also seem to have a good selection

Separate issue

I gave the inside of the windscreen a good clean with a purpose car window cleaner and microfibre cloth wow thats made quite a difference bit like a fog being lifted. What made it recently worse was wiping off some condensation before the screen cleared itself

Wife's car also much better -- highly recommended task

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We replaced the dipped beam bulbs on our 2013 Roomster with:

Lucas Light Booster Black Edition H7 12V 55W +180% More Light

From Eurocarparts for £14.99, now a bit less I think. The dipped beams are much better - we find the main beams to be OK with the standard bulbs. Fitting the drivers side bulb was bit of a challenge as on our 1.6 diesel the fuel filter made access very difficult and I ended up moving it to make life easier.

Thank you Galaxy - seasons greetings

I have just ordered the Halfords equivalent as (for me) they are easier to collect will be able to pick up 27/12 and look forward to the difference fingers crossed not too much of a struggle to fit (petrol car)

Advertised as legal so should just plug and play.

• 4 weeks later...

So I bought two Halfords H7 477 Dipped beam headlight bulbs advertised as 200% brighter (and just got around to fitting them) , they are certainly a great improvement and recommended :)

As regards as fitting an easy task to pull off the rubber outer caps and the you have to turn the light bulb/connector anti clockwise about 1/4 turn then prise the bulb off the electrical connector put back into the light unit and 1/4 turn clockwise and job done.

The nearside was quick and easy the offside just didn't want to turn clockwise to refit, hard to see whats what but did eventually maybe just me and its cold outside.

Well worth doing.