Error: cornering light AFS - C1036 15 Rear Left Ride-Height Sensor open or short to plus - tutorial to replace rear hight sensor

My Octavia ''cheered me up'' with Error: cornering light AFS warning and the xenon lights were lowered to its lowest position.

1899646265_ErrorcorneringlightAFS.thumb.jpg.b70eb93e3e4da882a611ef1e49f81c32.jpg

Diagnostics showed C1036 15 Rear Left Ride-Height Sensor open or short to plus trouble code, so it was clear that the rear height sensor is toasted. Or the wiring to it. When removing it, it was clear that the sensor is faulty, because it was completelly blocked.

When ordering the sensor it was a complete mess, because the part nr. 5Q0907503 printed on the old sensor showed completelly different sensor. After some additional search I finally found the correct part nr. 5Q0512521E.

A complete step by step tutorial for replacing the sensor is available here:

Hope it helps. If you have basic knowledge and tools, you should be able to replace it in cca. 1 hour.
Cost of the sensor was only cca. 60 EUR, so I (and my Octavia) are happy again :).

PS: According to my colleague mechanic this sensor blockage is quite common on VAG cars.

PS2: sensor location and replacement instructions are valid also for all other Skoda cars in the last 20 years, with minor adjustments (location, sensor).

Edited by mtl

• mtl changed the title to Error: cornering light AFS - C1036 15 Rear Left Ride-Height Sensor open or short to plus - tutorial to replace rear hight sensor