Replacement stereo allowing use of Apple Air Play?

gsmdo

So, I didn't leave it there...😆

I read the eBay listing on the new head unit, and it said that it would accept a reversing camera input without any further modification.

After discussing (via email) the available options, it became clear that a unit which replaced one of the number-plate lights would be the one to do the job.

IMG_8844-4K.jpg

This is for a Superb Mk2 facelift estate, with number plate lights that look like this.

2023110719591941-7213602462336909098-.jp

Once again, I'm unable to post a link, but search eBay for item number 184037233958

1g.jpg

This device has the considerable advantage of transmitting its data wirelessly - thus obviating the need to run a cable from the tailgate to the dashboard. I already had after-market LED numberplate lamps fitted, which required a resistor to stop the canbus flagging a fault - I just used the same wiring to connect the lamp. I needed a switched power supply for the transmitter feed, which I took from the black wire going to the rear wiper motor.

The loom that comes with the head unit provides all the power and earth connections needed for the display. Now, as soon as I put the car in reverse...

2023110719545895--705116881815602865-4K.

...I get a good view of what's behind me.

Excellent bit of kit - and only £37. 🙂

NB This will NOT work with a factory head unit.

Once again - hats off to Audio Tech Direct - really helpful vendors.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Mister Paul said:

Thanks. 

Do you have the code for it, and how much are you wanting? 

I have recently purchased a columbus unit off forum member but he didn't have code.I used a site radiocodeking and within a very short while code came back.You just input radio serial number and thats it.Cost 7 or 9 quid but very happy with the service.Dont let a no code put you off if there isn't one.👍

• Like 2

On 22/10/2023 at 11:43, gsmdo said:

OK - got the white plug(s) to fit - just needed the correct orientation. The GPS socket is a threaded one, whereas the aerial from the car is a coax push fit, so I have left it - as I have left the DAB. I intend to use Waze GPS via my iPhone, so don't need the car's antenna, and the unit doesn't have DAB (I think it's an option, but not one I needed, so didn't check further). I'm about to do a little out-of-sight surgery to the trim that fits over the heating controls, to allow the USB sockets to be accessed to charge my phone - and to connect it to CarPlay.

IMG_8758-4K.jpg

Done! I. have to iron a few wrinkles out - the 'splash' screen it opens with is a VW one(!); it doesn't automatically open in CarPlay - but these are minor snags, and I'll work out a way to sort them.

Unusually, even though my iPhone is 'hard-wired' via the USB charging and data cable, my audiobooks won't play over the speakers unless you are also linked by Bluetooth.

IMG_8755-4K.jpg

All the steering wheel controls are working as advertised, and the info usually displayed on the original unit - seat heaters, temp setting etc - are replicated on the new unit. I'd say it was as close to plug-and-play as you can get.

If I was installing one for someone else's car now, I estimate it would take 10 minutes or so.

It seems one can't put a link on here - so just search for eBay item 185779514166 - that's the one I bought.

Mike 😎

Hi Mike have you had the unit work in wireless carplay yet ?

Reason I ask is the advice from Audio tech is that the wireless models are having teething troubles and are better wired. ( Mines Android so I presume it's the same  )

I know you can't comment on Android but I'd really want wireless to work. 

12 hours ago, Davidoff1234 said:

Code present. 

£200.00 including delivery would buy it.

Thanks

I don't have that kind of money available at the moment. When I do I'll probably come back to you. If it's gone by then that's my problem.

• Like 1

On 24/01/2024 at 21:02, Davidoff1234 said:

Hi Mike have you had the unit work in wireless carplay yet ?

Reason I ask is the advice from Audio tech is that the wireless models are having teething troubles and are better wired. ( Mines Android so I presume it's the same  )

I know you can't comment on Android but I'd really want wireless to work. 

Yes, David - it's all working as it should. The initial weirdness where it wouldn't play my audiobook unless it was physically connected has vanished. It now boots up straight into CarPlay - exactly what I was hoping it would do 👍

I liked it so much, I've fitted one in my Audi 😆

2023121819342892-3615331831863730462-4K.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gsmdo said:

Yes, David - it's all working as it should. The initial weirdness where it wouldn't play my audiobook unless it was physically connected has vanished. It now boots up straight into CarPlay - exactly what I was hoping it would do 👍

I liked it so much, I've fitted one in my Audi 😆

2023121819342892-3615331831863730462-4K.

And the same experience with the audi setup mate ?

9 minutes ago, Davidoff1234 said:

And the same experience with the audi setup mate ?

Yep - all good 👍 

• Like 1