Humming / whining noise coming from the steering column

rnawy

Hello,

Have any of you experienced a strange sound coming from the steering column when maneuvering with low speeds?

The noise only appears when the car is not fully cooled down (it was driven before) and mainly when doing maneuvers at <15 km/h.

I would describe it as a humming / whining noise coming directly from steering column / front of the car. It appears even if the steering wheel is turned slightly.

It disappears once the car is driven for 2-3 kms.

The car is:

2023 Skoda Octavia 4 RS 2.0 TSI.

I requested a checkup at the dealership but they told me that no faults were found… but honestly I have never heard such a worrying noise coming from a brand new car…

Does anybody has experience with such an issue? Is it common for Škoda? Or maybe somebody found a fix?

I just noticed the same on my Skoda Karoq 2022 2.0Tsi.

Same situation as it only appears after driving for a good hour. Doesn’t sound bad or anything bud just a weird humming when going left or right at lowish speeds. Sound is gone when steering while at a standstill.

Just got my car last week and this is the first time I noticed it. But today was also the first time we have been driving for more than an hour with it. 

Appreciated if anyone knows more about this or had something like this fixed previously. Or if this is even normal but then it does sound a bit weird and now I can’t unhear it 😆

56 minutes ago, ChrisSo said:

I just noticed the same on my Skoda Karoq 2022 2.0Tsi.

Same situation as it only appears after driving for a good hour. Doesn’t sound bad or anything bud just a weird humming when going left or right at lowish speeds. Sound is gone when steering while at a standstill.

Just got my car last week and this is the first time I noticed it. But today was also the first time we have been driving for more than an hour with it. 

Appreciated if anyone knows more about this or had something like this fixed previously. Or if this is even normal but then it does sound a bit weird and now I can’t unhear it 😆

Just went for a short drive and checked the noise again:

• It is unrelated to the AC - no change with AC off.
  • It seems that it is more present in driving modes "Eco", "Normal" and "Comfort" compared to Sport. Nearly gone in Sport but audible ever so slightly
  • It doesn't do a sound until 15km/h, loudest at 30-40km/h and gone again from 50km/h.
  • I can only hear it on the inside but nothing out of order when sticking my head out of the window and listening at the wheel.
  • Quite certain that this only started today after driving around for about an hour in hot weather. May retest later or tomorrow morning when car is cold to see if it is temperature related.

I did take and attached a video on which this is audible.

Guess I will have to go to Skoda Service soon and have it checked out. I

Thanks for your input!

Mine is generally louder (thus more irritating) - at least based on the videos you have posted.

Putting the car into sport mode does help a little bit but still, the sound is loud enough to be easily noticeable 😕

Let me know if you were able to get some details from the mechanic!

5 hours ago, rnawy said:

Thanks for your input!

Mine is generally louder (thus more irritating) - at least based on the videos you have posted.

Putting the car into sport mode does help a little bit but still, the sound is loud enough to be easily noticeable 😕

Let me know if you were able to get some details from the mechanic!

Is it the same kind of noise. Find it a bit hard to describe it in words. Looking in the forum most others have cracking or knocking noise. But seems that ours is definitely more the „humming“ you mentioned. 

I had another test ride last night when the car was cold and it was completely gone. So for me it seems to be temperature related. 

14 hours ago, ChrisSo said:

Is it the same kind of noise. Find it a bit hard to describe it in words. Looking in the forum most others have cracking or knocking noise. But seems that ours is definitely more the „humming“ you mentioned. 

I had another test ride last night when the car was cold and it was completely gone. So for me it seems to be temperature related. 

Glad to hear that at least in your case it is not that annoying.

I agree that the sound is somewhat related to temperature - in my case when it is hot, the sound is loud (and even becomes a whining sound when it is really hot - and then you can hear it outside the car as well). When it is colder, the sound is less noticeable.

I wonder if having the adaptive steering / DCC and 19 alloys makes it worse in my car compared to yours…

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, komar_22 said:

Hello!

Do you have the same noise as me?

Hi,

no mine is definitely different. It’s only audible when driving and only between 15 and 40 km/h. Also it’s not as noisy and sounds more like an electrical humming. Like if there is a base noise in headphones if the aux cable is not fully in.

I have an appointment at the service centre tomorrow for a slide scheduled software update. That one is to fix the travel lane assist beeping. But will ask them to see if my humming noise is something to worry about or just normal. 

I have this noise/sound when I drive 30min or more and turn the steering wheel near the end postion (after the 30min drive I hear it in standstill also). I struggling with this since end of August. In the first service I was two times and they changed the steering rod. This not solved the issue. I changed the service and the 2nd service add some teflon grease to some parts. Now it is a little bit better. Now the noise comes when I drive 2 hours. I will go back to the service in January. We will see what can they do. I hope they will solve it.

• 2 weeks later...

So this thread seems to have stalled somewhat as no updates, but guess peeps are waiting on dealers for warranty investigation, so, wading in with potentially on another take on this noise issue.

I don’t have what seems to be the same but a noise at the same type of speeds and turning of the steering wheel, mine is mostly low speed, reversing, parking space left or right hand down, and it’s a kind of stretching or winding/pulling sound, as though something is under stress. I will try and do an audio as not so far, as the sound has only just started so thought to involve the Briskoda community for thoughts/input……

Car is, 2023 VRS TSI

ChheeRS

Edited by Superted