Glowplug light

Hi. Recently brought Skoda Rapid Greentech diesel 1.4l 2015. 

3 months in glowplug light came up while i was driving and car stalled. I restart the car but glowplug light is now flashing and check engien light is on.

My oil seems like it could have some condensation or water in it because i'm getting white glueish gunk on the oil fill up. I havent noticed any oil loss or coolant loss so i doubt it's gasket. No white smoke either. I'm bringing my car to service tomorow but wondered if anybody has any ideas what could be the fault. Just the glowplugs or something more?

Well I can tell you that the fault will not be the glowplugs from what you describe, probably wont stop the garage from replacing them on your dime though.

First thing to do is to have the fault codes read by VCDS or equivalent, not a cheap generic OBDII reader although that may well reveal the engine fault codes.

@Marciswelcome.

Probably nothing to do with it, but maybe the car was recently driven through deep water.  So look at the Air Filter, is it clean and dry? 

Water can get into engines in ways other than from cylinder head gasket failures.

?

Then how long has the same oil been in the engine, and maybe at a garage / auction and lots of starting. or seldom starting but going no place and not getting the oil up to temperature.

It's been heavily raining recently and quite high moisture overall. But seems like i haven't driven through deep water. Just regular overflown streets. I will ask the service to check the filter just to make sure. 

Oil was changed when i bought the car around 3 months ago. When i have checked the oil temp on the dash it's been normal and quite close to coolant tempreture. So far the i haven't had any overheating issues yet. 

You should not need to tell a Technician, Mechanic  or Fitter what to check.

What service history have you and when was stuff done last? 

The OIl temperature can go up when the car used and over 100*oC and then cool down, which is how a coolant system works.

The Coolant temp showing near 90*oC is an approxomate.

???

Was you car ever part of the Recall Action to have the coolant replaced?

Pinned thread at the top of the Fabia Mk3 section. 

1221833257_Screenshot2020-10-03at13_19_19.jpg.c743b2191e0cb186e97d46c7df84c5cf.jpg

1039190636_Screenshot2021-09-29at07_53_36.jpg.994d2b104123865330d493df0f73629e.jpg.469b173dd8ff2b7c1980f902f406fe61.jpg

1025295341_Screenshot2021-09-29at07_53_17.jpg.f3e4a6dc63cb89105f9b1ac440bb1614.jpg.1a83aff70ed152245067b78901bec0e3.jpg

827614452_SkodaFixedPriceServicing.JPG.3dbea7606c029076ed94e2f0216199b6.jpeg.689c25a185d90e4e44889f342770023b.jpeg

Edited by Rooted

My 1.4 sometimes also gets a little amount of white stuff on the cap but the oil changes look fine, probably just condensation or something similar. A proper scanner should show the actual issue.

Open the manual - it states that flashing glowplug light doesn't have anything to do with glowplugs, but it's rather a fault of engine management. On petrol engines it's the same as having EPC light solidly on.

Update. Wires had rubbed against started motor frame and caused Pressure Control Valve (Not sure if this is the right translation to english :biggrin: - DEL7135-818)  failure. Had to change presure controll valve and solder the faulty wiring. I'll try to get the pictures tomorow.

DELPHI Degvielas daudzuma regulēšanas vārsts DEL7135-818_0(DEL7135-818)

My daily drive is quite short - 10km to work but i often drive longer journeys on weekends. 

All service before me had been done at skoda service center. Odometer is around 230k.

1 hour ago, Marcis said:

Update. Wires had rubbed against started motor frame and caused Pressure Control Valve (Not sure if this is the right translation to english :biggrin: - DEL7135-818)  failure. Had to change presure controll valve and solder the faulty wiring. I'll try to get the pictures tomorow.

DELPHI Degvielas daudzuma regulēšanas vārsts DEL7135-818_0(DEL7135-818)

My daily drive is quite short - 10km to work but i often drive longer journeys on weekends. 

All service before me had been done at skoda service center. Odometer is around 230k.

makes sense why the engine management threw an error. did the car also wen into limp mode (i.e. very slow)?