Octavia VRS TDI (2016) DSG - high fuel consumption

Hello, I have an Octavia VRS 2.0 184hp, model 2016, I have owned it for more than half a year. Is it normal that the fuel consumption is over 10.6 l per 100 km (22 mpg = 10.7 l/100 km). It is mostly city driving and short distances, it seems too much for diesel. Has anyone else encountered high fuel consumption on this model. DPF is regenerated every 100-200 km. All services were done regularly and I did not notice any problems with the vehicle and the engine. The vehicle has new MICHELIN 225/45R17 ALPIN-6 winter tires.

Yes - that's very poor.  TDI engines need long runs to make the work well.  They are not good for short-distances.  The winter tyres will make a small difference to economy, but not that much.  Typically, depending your journey, you should get between 35-45mpg / 6.72l and 5.2l per 100kms in winter.

So - things to check:

1) Airfilter - is this clean?  If not, replace.

2) Take the car on a long fast run; see if that helps.

3) Check that your DPF is not blocked up?  Get hold of a VAG DPF checker app on your phone and look at the soot levels.  Make sure that your car has done a full re-gen (not a partial one) recently.  If the DPF is blocked and a re-gen is not helping, it is time for a manual DPF clean to be done on the car.

4) Put in a Cetane improver (I don't know what the quality of the fuel is like in Bosnia); this might help improve the running of the car and will keep the soot levels down.

5) Get the car code-scanned - make sure you don't have any error messages or problems with the car.

6) Are the wheel alignment and tyre pressures correct?

Edited by varaderoguy

• 2 weeks later...

First of all thanks for your reply and help.

1) I use a KN filter, I bought it recently, according to the specification it should help reduce fuel consumption
2) I went on a long trip and the consumption was significantly lower, 6l/100km, but as far as I understand the consumption is disappointing for shorter distances (unfortunately that's what I do the most), an especially if the air conditioner is in use.
3) I got obdeleven next gen, but I don't know how to look at these parameters with it for DPF.
4) I poured the additive, I felt minimal improvements (0.5l/100), currently my consumption is 10l/100km
5) I did that with obd11 and everything is ok, it doesn't report any errors
6) I bought new tires, I did the alignment of the wheels, ryre pressure is ok.

When was the last time your car did a regen? Did you let it complete?

Re: dpf. You need to get hold of a dongle (I think it's called an ELM compatible dongle) and a copy of VAGDPF. This will interrogate the car and give you the soot levels in your car in a graphical format.

A quick Google showed that you can get those values in Odbeleven:

select Control unit: 01 Engine
Then select live data
Then from the very long list select

Particulate filter, est. blocking the reg. field
Particle filter, req. of the reg. field
Particle filter, kilometers from the last reg.
Particulate filter, oil ash mass
Particle filter, calculated soot mass
Particle filter, measured soot mass
Particle filter, time since the last regeneration

We need the oil ash mass, calculated soot mass and measured soot mass to start of with please.