Steering wheel swap

hi all, i have a 2019 Kodiaq in which i would like to install a 2023 model steering wheel.

- is this doable or does the car need recoding?

- is the airbag unit reusable in the 2023 model? The plastic cap with logo is a dfferent shape

thanks for you info

wheel 2.JPG

wheel 1.JPG

It's been a while since I looked at this, but it is definitely not a straight swap - an adapter of some kind is needed to convert the signals correctly - a LIN converter, I believe. Someone else here may be able to tell you more. When I looked at it, the only people I could find who were making these adapters/converters were in Russia, and it wasn't possible to send money to Russia in order to buy one!

The airbag is definitely different also.

If you want to add a heated wheel and your existing wheel is not already heated, you will need a different clockspring, plus an adapter and wiring to bring power from the fusebox (Kufatec sell one). 

It can get pretty expensive. It's still on my wishlist though! Let me know if you make any progress in sourcing the LIN adapter. 

i had a reply in a Dutch skoda forum saying the airbag can't be reused, we indeed would need a kind of adapter (CanBus adapter / reduction for steering wheel from Octavia 4 - High for 200.00 € - Radio Adapter & Can Bus Decoder (cars-equipment.com)) and then some recoding.

all in all it would be too expensive for my taste.

i saw a 2023 steering wheel second hand, that i liked, for under 100 euros. If everything were plug and play, i would do it in a heartbeat, but not now...

• 2 months later...