2018 Karoq door lock problems

Oli

Having what appears to be the usual KESSY and door lock problems on a 2018 Karoq.  Door locks seem to go into auto lock spasm mode when driving away and car will randomly lock sometimes when the door is open. 

I am going to plug in the diagnostic to see if any lock faults are shown. I suspect I know which lock it is. 

Is there an official diagnostic method and does anyone know the correct door lock part numbers?

I gather there’s an improved lock mechanism?

My front right (driver’s door) is shown as a 5TC 837 016 D on SkodaParts based on my VIN. 

Does anyone know the part numbers and if there’s an improved part? Reading around I see there may be and a cover piece that needs swapping if I do that. Anyone know for certain?

Edited by Oli

So I can confirm our part number was indeed the non suffix version 5TC 837 016. 

There’s a decent guide on the door card removal here however it’s a bit short of some details:

The removal of the door lock cylinder means removal of the black bolt and unscrewing the smaller torx and then pushing the screw inwards. This is shown here on a similar car:

You’ll also find that a wiring loom is attached on clips to the door lock itself. These need to be carefully unclipped to extract the door lock. 

I am still none the wiser what has been done on the new versions of the lock and what the differences are. 

I may well take this faulty one to bits to see where the flaw lies. I bet there are micro switches in there that are broken or shorter.