dashboard light gremlins

2012 Roomster 1.2TSI CBZA 86BHP (65K miles). I've had my wee Roomster for 3 years and it has been very reliable. Recently, various dash warning lights have been appearing (and sometimes disappearing,only to reappear a week later) without any obvious cause. The orange engine icon is on (most of the time). The red  brake icon (accompanied by three audible chimes) is now on (again, most of the time) but the car drives OK and there is plenty of brake fluid. There have been a couple of times when the yellow EPC light has come on and the engine power is decreased (limp home mode). Stop the car, switch the ignition off and back on and the EPC fault disappears.

I would start with checking that the alternator is working correctly and isn't producing low voltage or high voltage (should be around 14.6V with the engine running). 

OK I can easily check the output. It was in a local independent garage a few months ago and their fault code reader threw up a whole host of spurious faults. The mechanic could not diagnose the cause and cleared the fault history. The car ran fine for about a month, then the warning lights started coming and going again. I suspect it might have something to do with some microprocessor buried deep in the car somewhere.