Power tailgate pausing partway open or shut

Hi,

The powered tailgate has an intermittent fault.  It is sometimes stopping part way through the movement either opening or closing, usually in the same position each time it does it.  I’ve reset the open position setting by holding down the tailgate button and waiting for the beep, but it still has the intermittent issue.  Any pointers?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Franchise workshop will charge £140 initial diagnoses / code read.

Is there an alternative way to diagnose if the fault is with a strut or latch sensor?  I have found that the latch sometimes operates when the tailgate has not fully shut?  I also find the fault occurs if the car has been sat for several hours but if been driven it appears to work fine.  Does this point it toward either the strut or latch?

1 hour ago, MrRich said:

Franchise workshop will charge £140 initial diagnoses / code read.

Is there an alternative way to diagnose if the fault is with a strut or latch sensor?  I have found that the latch sometimes operates when the tailgate has not fully shut?  I also find the fault occurs if the car has been sat for several hours but if been driven it appears to work fine.  Does this point it toward either the strut or latch?

A diagnosis will (hopefully) be much more than a fault scan, that will give a general ball park which can be confirmed with wiring, data or visual checks depending on the fault codes.

You are welcome to check the diagnostic forum section for a list of vcds users near you (skill levels will vary and some may charge) and they may be able to provide a fault scan or look into it further for you depending on their expertise.

• Like 1

I took a chance and replaced the struts with the £200 a pair aftermarket ones available on eBay.  Function restored so indicated fault with detecting position on the strut or both struts.  Issue I now have is it looks I need to reset the lowest position as it sometimes stops a few mm short of the latch being able to pull the tailgate closed.  How do I do this?

• Confused 1

Just to expand on my comments, the tailgate soft close latch operates but occasionally doesn’t pull it completely shut and so the tailgate is on the second latch and resting on the seals.  Before the struts would give the tailgate a proper thud to close and latch would work fine.

Posted (edited)

Now back to it misbehaving as it did before, so my punt trying to save money didn’t work.  I guess latch next as nothing else should cause?  

Edited by MrRich
  • Groan 1

• 4 weeks later...