Struggling to find someone local to change my wishbones and bushes Skoda fabia MK1 1.2 2006 htp

Hi I was wondering if any of you helpful members live close to Blackburn north west as I am struggling to find anyone to change the wishbones and bushes on my Skoda fabia, if anyone is up for the task please let me know a price and I will get back to you. Many thanks 

Just about to do exactly the same on the same model myself as got silly quote from local garages as my friendly one retired last year. Bought a cheap bush puller off amazon. Parts arent that expensive. Was going to reuse the wishbones but they look pretty rusty and as everything else on the car is mint just ordered a new pair for £50-00. Got Febi ones as MOT advise reckoned pin might be worn on arms as well as bush. Got new track rod ends plus ball joints and bushes etc for £60-00 so £110 in total plus puller set (cant rember but around £40-00 which hopefully will get used again. Doesn't look too difficult a job. I reckon local garages looked at the age of car and reckoned everything would be seized or rusted solid and quoted accordingly. I reckon if I can do it for £150 in total its not bad plus I get another puller set to add to my collection. Got the parts I needed from Parts in Motion. Dealt with them a few times and so far delivery is good and everything is correct plus prices seem pretty good as well. Might be worth trying it yourself if theres no-one up for the job.

Alasdair

I've had a few done in Yorkshire on my sdi when i had it ,think it was £45 labour ,see edit (not inc tracking) new wishbones  including console bushes 

down here i had it done in Bodmin and it was a ridiculous price they stripped that aluminium bracket arm, i believe this sometimes happens but never in Yorkshire ,put the console bushes in wrong and left the undertray off  .

Edit/thinking back it may have been £30  a side so still not bad

Edited by anton
additional info

• 3 weeks later...

I can't suggest anyone who would do it for you but I'll add to the chorus of considering doing it for yourself. I bought a set of Powerflex front and back bushes. The design of these front bushes means you don't need a puller to get them in. The rear bushes can be pulled out of the consoles using a large (75mm, I think) socket and a long M10 bolt with thick load-spreader washers as a puller. To get the wishbone back in I used a ratchet strap to haul it back and into the front pivot point. One thing to watch for: on the 1.2l HTP (at least) you need to lift the engine off its right-hand mount and slide it forward a few cms to get clearance for the front pivot bolt behind the sump.

I enjoyed the process so much that I'm about to tackle it again with another Fab that I've bought... 😞

If you don't fancy the Powerflex bushes (they're a bit pricey) you can get new wishbones with the front bushes ready fitted at a reasonable price from Autodoc.

You might also consider using Clickmechanic to see if you can get someone to bid for the job.

• 2 weeks later...