Superb 1.6 tdi gearbox leak

I noticed when under the car at the weekend there’s a small oil leak from the gearbox (manual 6 speed).

It coming from a small plate on the very bottom of the box held by a couple of bolts and the plate seems to have ‘VW’ shaped into it. I can’t find anything online referring to this plate as I thought it might be a drain plug but unsure.

Anyone any ideas what it’s called or its purpose? I’ll get a photo at weekend if people are unsure. Thanks.

Decent photo required to determine what you're looking at. Can't think of any plate under a manual gearbox, are you sure its not the gearbox mount? Are you sure its gearbox oil and not oil from the engine and worked its way round under the gearbox?

The most likely source of leaks on a manual gearbox are from the output shaft flanges. Due to diff output bearing(s) failing resulting in end play in/out of the box and shaft seals being pushed out and /or damaged.

Please supply a clear photo showing as much of the underside of box as possible with an indication of where the oil is spotted.

I would consult the workshop manual before removing anything in case a special procedure is required to stop something dropping out.

There is more than one item 8 fitted, looks it may be leaking from one of them.

Dont forget to top up the anti-gravity oil after replacing the O ring!

Look at the corroded clean alloy areas of the casing then look at the black oily ones and ask yourself has the oil really leaked out of the plate at the very bottom of the gearbox.