Car won't lock after replacing fob battery

I got the warning message listed on the entertainment screen to change my fob battery. I opened the fob outside a motor factors yesterday and seeing the CR2025 battery I bought a new one. Putting the new battery in and closing the fob, the car won't lock. I replaced the old battery and the same result. Disaster. I had to go somewhere today and leave the car unlocked in a parking lot for half the day. What is going on?

Edited by boardtc

There is a limited (but adequate) time to replace the battery but also the battery must be the correct way up when inserted.

In an emergency you can lock the car with the key.

Remove key hole cover with key, there's a slot underneath.  

Before you do anything, the red light must be flashing in the fob when you press it.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 03/03/2024 at 09:29, Cakemonster said:

Have you tried RTFM?

Thank you for that. It sounds like other posters did not know either. I accessed the lock by watching

However, with the new battery none of the 3 buttons show a red light on the remote. Unlocking within 1 minute does not do a sync 😞 At least I can lock the car now with the key. I'll have to go to another garage for another battery in case the last one sold me a dud.

Edited by boardtc

32 minutes ago, boardtc said:

However, with the new battery none of the 3 buttons show a red light on the remote. Unlocking within 1 minute does not do a sync 😞 At least I can lock the car now with the key. I'll have to go to another garage for another battery in case the last one sold me a dud.

The remotes are very sensitive to battery type and age but I do have to ask, since you say the red light doesn't show, whether there is a clear plastic film left on the battery?

Edited by PetrolDave

55 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

The remotes are very sensitive to battery type and age but I do have to ask, since you say the red light doesn't show, whether there is a clear plastic film left on the battery?

Thanks. No. I even broke a nail trying to see if there was anything on the surface!

Did you put the battery in the right way round?

+ facing up

Check the battery with a multimeter should be about 3.3 volts less than 3.0 volts is a dead battery

Edited by xman

There was alot said a while ago on this subject. 

After another member mentioned it, I started using 2032s, as long as you keep everything square they fit OK.

• Like 2

I just called into another garage and he have me a 2032 and all worked first time. No need to reset/use emergency key! Thanks all!

• Like 3