Strange one

Anyone had this before ?

Fabia MK2 Greenline in for MOT today . Failed on rear brake imbalance . Not a happy chappy on hearing this as previous week had done my usual yearly strip and clean brakes all round . Typically on last corner found a leaking wheel cylinder . Changed it , bled brakes up , adjusted handbrake . 

Presumed MOT failure was down to me over adjusting handbrake cable or forgetting to rough up / sandpaper shoes one side . Left car with garage to sort , 5 hours later done , tested , passed . 

Reason for imbalance ? Other side wheel cylinder leaking ! Definitely wasn't last week as I'd checked under seals .

So question is , if you change one side does that put more pressure on other older cylinder causing possible failure ? 

42 minutes ago, Cheapas said:

Reason for imbalance ? Other side wheel cylinder leaking ! Definitely wasn't last week as I'd checked under seals .

So question is , if you change one side does that put more pressure on other older cylinder causing possible failure ?

Well yes. And answering the supplementary in advance when you change the clutch slave that puts more pressure on the clutch master with similar effects.

• Haha 1

On 14/03/2024 at 23:54, Paws4Thot said:

Well yes. And answering the supplementary in advance when you change the clutch slave that puts more pressure on the clutch master with similar effects.

Hydraulics is not your strong point Paws5Thot 😁

On 14/03/2024 at 23:10, Cheapas said:

No!

I have changed one side and never had a leak on the other side.

The pressure in the system does not change just because it now "more" contained. There is nothing to amplify thee pressure.

The second leak would have been bad luck.

• Like 1